26 battery bracket rivited?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 battery bracket rivited?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:00 am:

I just removed my battery support bracket to straighten from old time damage. It was riveted in place. My friend has (4) 26 T's and all his have bolted brackets. He thinks I have been smoking something illegal. Have any of you found riveted battery brackets in your 26-27 T's? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By justin cox on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:33 am:

My '26 touring is riveted in as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:45 am:

The battery carrier in my 1926 frame is riveted. The encyclopedia says nothing about Ford changing to bolts. Why would they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:52 am:

The production numbers don't state any non-starter cars built for model years 26-27. It could be that one or more frame suppliers started riveting the battery bracket in. Might be interesting to find the maker stamp on the riveted ones.

There's not much printed info on frames but someone (I don't remember) did exhaustive research on the differences. I think the info was scattered out through the forums and hard to find. It may have included just the hole placement though. I don't remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:59 am:

My 26 roadster has riveted battery bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Not entirely correct! The right side is riveted, and the left rear is riveted. The left front has a bolt through it for the ground strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:34 am:

I had assumed that all the battery carriers were riveted at the factory, but after reading Ken's comment I went looking. As I mentioned earlier, the one in my 1926 frame is riveted. Those in the two 1923 cars are both bolted. BUT on the touring the bolt heads are on the outside and on the Fordor they're on the inside. That leads me to suspect that both of them are replacements for original riveted carriers. The encyclopedia covers the addition of holes but doesn't mention either bolts or rivets. This looks like a good homework assignment for somebody to research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I expect that many of the battery carriers were eaten up by acid leaking from the batteries. I've seen several where the bottom strip of steel was pretty far gone. Of course, anyone replacing one would have used bolts to secure the new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

I have never seen a riveted-in-place battery carrier on our Canadian sourced cars. Are the rivet holes 3/8", the same size as the bolt holes?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Allen, I started this thread. My 26 had 2 rivets and (1) 3/8 bolt. After I removed the (2) rivets, the holes were 3/8. The one bolt attached the ground cable as stated above. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Larry, isn't it the left rear , that has the bolt for the ground strap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Could it be that the flat packed cars had the battery bracket off the frame for packaging and fitted when assembled later thereby the application of bolts instead of rivets? Just a thought. The two '26 frames I have are both bolted.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

I am the "friend" from the original post that started all of this. The reason they didn't change to bolts is because they were bolts to start with. All four of my '26's have bolts holding the battery carrier in and no they were not changed over time for whatever reason. Look in the model T Bible "The Model T Ford Service" Manual Page 14, paragraph 1 (Disassembling the car) it clearly shows the tree bolts holding the battery carrier in place.

All fun aside, I guess clearly there were different manufactures of frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I think the rivet/bolt thing evolved over time. For instance, the pre-19 frames I've seen have 3 rivets. Larry says that one rivet was replaced by a bolt for the electric cars. Maybe later they went to all bolts? Or maybe that was a Canadian/export thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Now that we got this rivet/bolt issue resolved, does everyone agree there are 2 rivets holding the bracket together as a unit, or should I cut them out and install bolts.LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

This just gets more confusing.
"...the pre-19 frames I've seen have 3 rivets."
So pre-19 frames should have battery carriers? I figured the carrier bolted in the frame of my put-together 1915 roadster was bogus, so I took it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

OMG!!!! Brain fart. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

of all the 26 27 cars I have stripped, and there is a lot as u guys know, 2 rivets, one bolt, case closed, at least on 26 27 cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

I've never come across one that was not bolted in. This includes all the ones I've purchased and the ones at auctions I've passed on. This week I replaced the one on my 24 Roadster and it was bolted in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Mike: My 25 is the same as your 26/27 cars. The left rear has a bolt for the ground strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

After reading all this I went back out to the barn and looked again at my 7-8-26 frame. Right: rivet. Left: rivet front, bolt back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

I stand corrected! Of course it's the left rear that has the ground strap. Sorry for the error. My '25 is the same as the '26-7s. Steve, how could a pre '19 have a riveted battery carrier, when they didn't have one to begin with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:04 am:

My very thought. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:51 am:

My battery carrier was riveted, bolted and unbolted!

It reaches the right side bolt hole correctly so I don't understand why it had been bent around to rest on the cross member.

It's in the process of getting new rivets for the U-shaped band. They really worked loose with all the rocking as it bounced on bumps. Batteries sure don't like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:25 am:

It's hell getting old, but so far it beats the alternative. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Bumping this thread for Brent :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

I inspected my battery carrier on my 26 Canadian touring. The assembly is bolted to the frame, the assembly it self is riveted there are 4 rivets securing the strap and 1 rivet holding the top frame together. The strap attached to the passenger side is straight with a 90 at the end where it bolts to the frame. The bolts are original and they are castelled with pins. I have had this car for 55 years and I am the third owner. The battery holder bolts are original, it has never been off the frame. There is a separate hole in the frame between the two mounting bolts on the driver side to attach the ground strap. The ground strap is 7 inches long and is braided round.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration