Head Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Head Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:35 am:

I have changed from magneto to 12 volts. If I change the bulbs to 12 volts. Do I just switch the wire on the firewall from magneto to battery? This is a 1916 motor. I have no wiring block. Just a light switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:40 am:

If I recall, aren't the magneto lights wired in series? You'll want to change the headlight wiring from series to parallel for the battery lights. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Yes, the mag light wiring is in series and I believe you do need to change that for battery lighting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:03 am:

So, wire from light switch to first light with two connections,then out of first lights second connection and over to other light in one terminal and out second terminal to where?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Kevin -- You will need to run a (switched) hot wire to each bulb socket and ground each one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:15 am:

K. -- What you described in your last post is the original configuration for the mag bulbs in series. To expand a bit on my post above, you'll need to run a hot wire to one post of each bulb socket, and ground the other side of each one. That's assuming you're still using two-contact sockets and found 12-v bulbs to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

That's what I said, Ken. :-)

A picture helps explain it better, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Everyone, Thanks for all the input. I believe I have got it now. As long as the two pin sockets are the same as the electric cars. I have a dim sided pin and a bright side pin. The 12 volt bulbs I bought have two filaments one for bright and one for dim. The head lights are grounded through the frame. All I need is a two terminal switch. pull out part way and you have bright pull out further and you have dim. I was looking at a schematic on line and this is when the preverbal light went on.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration