OT Chaindrive racing car-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Chaindrive racing car-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Any idea what this was when it was new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Dear Mable
Here is a photo i made of of any bromhen Legs ander & his pieind Haiold Ponter in his lacing car - You will reeognize shere A is Takau.

i think i am illiterate and no i don't know what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

LOL Kep. His handwriting isn't great but it isn't that bad.

"Here is a photo I made of my brother Lysander + his friend Harold Porter in his racing car - you will recognize where it is taken - Love to you, Joey"

He uses the + sign as "and".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

I can't rule out it being a Simplex. The drive sprocket is smaller and the lower body is similar. What do the Experts think?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

The shape of the hood looks like a 1911 Welch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

This is what was left out of the message.

Dear Mable,
Here is a photo I made of my brother Lysauder & his friend Harold Porter in his racing car.
You will recognize where it is taken.

A few minutes after I took the picture they attempted to drive over to Uncle Clem's farm and forgot about the big tree at the bridge.
Lysauder and Harold are now sharing a bed at Aunt Gertie's and we are expecting them to be able to walk again in the spring.
By the way the tree was only slightly damaged but I can't say the same for the car.

Love
Joey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Dan Woolf, I'm really impressed that you recognized the hood as a Welch. I'm guessing there are darn few today that even know the name let alone know the hood shape.

I had the privilege of doing restoration research on Harrah's Welch back in the day. The Welch was an engineering masterpiece. Overhead cam, pressure lubrication just to mention a couple.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 10:25 am:

The L A county museum had and probably still has a nice unrestored Welch. Not a chain drive tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Oh how soon we forget cursive writing! The "and" sign he used was common, it's not a + sign at all. It's the cursive version of the ampersand.
Neat cars - completely exposed overhead valving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Hemispherical combustion chamber also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

My granddaughter is 8 and her school no longer teaches cursive writing. Their theory is since everyone uses a keyboard they no longer want to spend the time and money to teach handwriting anymore. go figure????

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:51 am:

I buy that brass car guy, as the handwriting I have seen of people in the 18-25 year old range these days looks like a 4 year old from the 30's-70's. I work with a 21 year old that is well educated and a good hard worker, can't write for beans though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Aside from what kind of car it was, I am wondering what that thing is on the running board. I am thinking carbide generator but it looks too bulky and cast rather then what one would see normally.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration