Very lucky day for this truck driver! I thought it was a Ford but it's a Dodge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Very lucky day for this truck driver! I thought it was a Ford but it's a Dodge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Very lucky day for a truck driver but not for those on the train.
http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/NYC-El-Crashes-6-25-1923-alt-view.jpg
Over 100 people were killed

At first I thought it was a Ford but the article says it's a Dodge. I can see the roof drops down in front and the shape of the fenders are different.
Dodge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

This is the website

http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/2012/06/25/the-forgotten-brooklyn-elevated-trai n-crash-of-1923/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Looks like a Dodge Station Wagon. Here is another Screen Side. They are nice too. They must have made quite a few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Might have been a lucky day for that guy but I don't think the people inside or under that train made out so good. The people inside the train might have survived the fall but the folks under the train never knew what hit them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

After looking at the higher definition picture on the other website. I may be wrong (not that that would ever happen), and despite the news report from the day, I have doubts that the truck in the photo is a Dodge. The fenders, wheels, and what little I can really see of the cowl due to shadows, do not look Dodge to me. Especially given the news report date of 1923. Overland would seem more likely, or maybe even Chevrolet. Definitely not a Ford. The body is one of a few common, major, after-market depot hack (like Mifflenberg (sp.?)) with the rear seats removed.
I am curious to hear what other people think it may be.

One thing that strikes me about this is the timing for the driver of the truck. Think of the five second window. Two seconds one way? Slam on the brakes easy stop! A small fraction of a second the other way? Never knew what hit him dead! About two seconds further in that direction? What was that noise????
It reminds me about fifty years ago just outside Laytonville Califunny where we spent a lot of time because my dad had a TV system there. An about two ton boulder rolled off a hillside and landed in the box of a pickup truck driving by. The driver had no idea of trouble until the sudden stop. The rear axle had to be dug out of the asphalt it had been driven almost clear through. It was the talk of the town for months. (No, it wasn't us)
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

It's a depot hack, not a screen side; Star, Chevy, Overland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

The sudden stopping of the huckster because of the falling commuter car may have sent the driver of same through the windshield and killed him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Hi Dan H!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration