Online shopping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Online shopping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:24 am:

At the outset I should say I have no gripe about folks asking more for an item than I would pay. I confess to being tight with a dollar, and the item is often worth more to somebody else.

A few things I've noticed when looking through Model T stuff on eBay:

Mis-identified items tend to be wildly overpriced.
Some folks will post multiple virtually identical pictures of an item, all from the same side, and ignoring the other side you'd like to see.
An item may languish at a low price for a week, then shoot up in a bidding frenzy in the last few minutes. A Model T part I was watching spent a week at $10.50, went up a few dollars on the final day, and climbed to $56 in the last few minutes.
I don't often score a deal, but it can be good entertainment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:56 am:

The "average" infrequent bidder doesn't stand a chance....UNLESS the item is listed in the wrong category. There are several snipe programs that automatically post your desired price in the last few minutes (seconds) of an auction.
You have been most fortunate in the deals you score, and your estate sale purchases!
Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:10 am:

When I'm serious about bidding on something, I use auctionsniper.com, their fee is very reasonable and you only pay a fee if you win the item.

https://www.auctionsniper.com/?gclid=CODz3N6KwL8CFQwGaQodiwYACA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Some ebay bidders seem to think the current bid price and that being the high bidder anytime other then the instant the item closes has something to do with the final sales price. Neither the current bid price or being the high bidder during the auction have anything to do with the final sales price.
Bidding on an idem at any time other then the last few seconds only puts your card on the table when others are still holding theirs. I believe that the only way to bid is sniping, determine your highest price and and let the bids fall where they may.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:45 am:

One thing I have seen is, if something goes for a high price several more might be listed within a few days, they usually don't sell for nearly as much. My computer nor I am fast enough to up the bid in the last 15 seconds. Because of people only biding on the last day/hour/minute 7 days is too long to loose in the last few seconds. It is fun to play sometimes, win or loose! Taking shipping into consideration, I only bid what I am willing to pay, then give it a few $ to play the game at the end.
Selling I have started using the 3 and 5 day auction on some things. Gets old looking every day to see if there is a bid.
If you bid say $20 on an item that starts at .99 and no one bids then you win the item for .99 plus shipping. If you place the same bid on the on the same item and there are several bidders and are still the high bid, then you win the item for what the last bid bumps your bid to. They bid $15 your proxy bid bumps it to $16, no more bids you win at $16.
You don't need a snipe program, just bid the highest you will pay, the ebay proxy bid program will do the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I have been watching eBay for several years. I've never bought or sold anything but it has been a wealth of information (and mis-information) to me.
Thousands of photos, some of them quite good, of parts I wouldn't see otherwise. Like the Forum, take what helps you and let the rest go.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

If recent news is correct, Ebay may be on the way out. Password hacks plus SEO problems have sent Ebay's stock plummeting because of poor traffic.

This should be interesting...Can Ebay survive as an auction site alone? Some say no, as sites like Amazon have grabbed up the gravy Ebay has depended on to stay profitable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

Someone is always looking to beat the system. Too bad but such is life in the computer age. Sounds like another parasite at work to minimize or destroy a great idea(eBay)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

None of the above has affected my activity on E-Bay I put the highest price I am willing to pay and let it go. If I win great! But the thing that torque's my backside padding is when you try to search a category such as model T parts and you get all of the man cave/hotrod/yardart stuff in there. Yes I have tried to use the exception search but I don't think there are enough exclusions to search for what you need especially what is misspelled or mis-listed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Part of the problem is that ebay has become a dumping ground for shoddy goods. As an auction site for stuff like Model T parts it's fantastic. Not all of us can spend the time and money to go the big swap meets that MIGHT have the parts we need. While some people like swap meets for the social aspect, I go to find parts, say Hi to a few people I know and leave. While some parts I will not buy on line, like transmission parts, I have gotten some great parts and deals off ebay and a few not so good. Heck to be truthful I have gotten some parts at swap meets that turned out to lemons when I got home and really looked at them.
While not as profitable, going back to the Mom and Pop sellers might be the way they need to go. There can be found some good deals. I need valves for my 28 Chevrolet head conversion. At the auto parts store with Toms business discount they are over $9 each plus my time to go get them. On ebay I can get the same valve for $5-6 each including shipping to my door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

GR
Try "Model T Ford"

as a search. Be sure you include the " at both ends. It will cut out a great deal of crap and you should end up with around 2500 items that I always sort with highest price first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Here is the "saved search" that I use for Model T parts, feel free to copy it and use it for your searches. :-)

model t ford -fits -cd -decal -sign -fiberglass -bucket -chevy -taurus -mustang -alternator -H@T -radio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I agree Mark. It will be curious to see how Ebay works through this. Unfortunately, how the shareholders respond, I think, will be the deciding factor.

Ebay will likely respond by moving to the Google Panda SEO model, and will recover somewhat, but there is little doubt Ebay will have to make some serious changes to survive. How this will affect their auction format will be interesting to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

My gripe with tbay all along is the fixed sale time. It should be like a face-face auction and slam the gavel when the bidding is finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

I purchase a few items on Ebay but they mostly end up being Buy-it-Now.
I tend to loose the auctions.

I usually check the prices at a few places before making a decision and go for the best deal

Just bought a new Throttle Position sensor for my Hyundai from a Hyundai dealer in the state of Washington for about $50.00 less (including shipping) that I could get it anyplace else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Jeff, My dad always said, "You can always ask any price you want!" I find that still holds and have run into on several occasions.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

I buy (and sell) on e-bay all the time. I have never had any problems yet. I have done over a thousand auctions. One thing about e-bay or other web purchases is that you can find stuff that you can not get local. For example , my welding hood automatic lens died 4 days ago. I looked in town and could buy a complete auto darkening hood for around 135.00, or I could have them special order a lens, to come in in about a week for 46.00 plus tax. I got on e-bay while I was eating lunch. Took me about 5 minutes to do the research and find one for 9.95 with free US delivery, and place the order. I got it today. It took four days from the time I broke it till I have a new one. I also needed a 7/8 inch 9 threads per inch, stud bolt at least 8 inches long today to repair the speedster "common sence" radius rod with. It is supposed to be here next Tuesday and is a high quality chrome moly grade 7 stud, and not a piece of generic all thread. It took less than 15 minutes to research, find a cheap, high positive feedback seller, and place the order . I try to buy local when I can but I usually end up spending more on gas than what it cost to buy it on e-bay or the web. I do try to buy from the American sellers when at all possible, even if it costs a little more. I also broke the cutter on my electric sheet metal hand sheer today. I can not say 100 percent for sure, but probably before I go to bed this evening I will have a new cutter on the way from somewhere. I would bet the farm, that the cutter is not available anywhere around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

I won an auction on eBay a couple months ago and in my opinion got ripped off. I made a max bid at $7.62 on an item when the bid was at $3.50. The auction was due to end at 9:08:00 PM on a Friday. I watched the auction progress over the course of a few days. The last day at 9:08:00 PM I got a message from eBay that I'd won the auction at $5.54. I paid for my item using PayPal and was charged at my max bid amount of $7.62. I became concerned that I'd been ripped off for a couple dollars and looked up the bidding history. The last bid was for $7.60 at 9:09:07. Over $2.00 more than the winning bid they had stated in the message they sent me. How is it possible for eBay to take a bid a full minute after the auction has ended. And how strange it seems the last bid prior to mine was just below my max bid. Did I get ripped off or is there something about eBay I don't understand? Please understand the $ figures I stated in my story aren't actual numbers. I was actually taken for a couple hundred dollars. But as I can't remember the exact amounts without looking them up, I posted fictitious numbers. But the story is an exact description of what happened to me. When I went to file a complaint with eBay I was told it wasn't their problem and I had to get my money from the seller. However I'm certain it wasn't the sellers issue. When I called PayPal, they refused to even talk to me and told me I had to take it up with the seller or eBay. Because of this issue I won't bid on eBay again. I only purchase off "Buy it now" auctions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Our house furnace hiccuped the other night, I diagnosed it as the flame sensor (fancy thermocouple)Turns out corrosion on the surface was the problem, so I was able to make it work again--but figured I'm on borrowed time. Tried to buy it locally. Everyone wanted to do a service call-they don't sell parts. Well, I'm at least a 20 minute drive from downtown--I'll bet they don't carry the part on their truck, so I'd be out the service call, a wait for the part and another service call. Ebay had the part, $12, free shipping. Buy it now even!
While I was there I bought a few other things that can go wrong on this puppy, High Temp sensor & the ignitor because this furnace is 10 years old, and I got one of the last of the model made (AUGH, no wonder it was such a deal). Now watch, it won't give me a problem for another ten years, since I have the parts in hand!
:-)
BTW, to change out the sensor, you lift the front panel off, pull off ONE wire clip, take out ONE screw, lift out the sensor. slide the new one in, tighten the screw, put the clip on, turn furnace on to check. 5 minutes, tops--for this I should pay an hour's service call???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Getting ready to go to bed. The new 3 piece cutter set for my electric shear was 12.39 with free shipping, supposed to be here in about 4 days. and I spent 0 dollars in gas. :-) :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration