OT - Ford's first six cylinder racer unveiled 110 years ago.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Ford's first six cylinder racer unveiled 110 years ago.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Began in early 1904, Ford's first six cylinder racer and predecessor to the Model K was unveiled to the media 110 years ago this month:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

How fast did he end up going? I like where it says there's little danger in going straight. If a tire should go flat at high speed it could mess up his plans for a very long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

A couple of years later, in 1907, a Stanley, while trying to beat the land speed record of 127 mph it had set in 1906, hit some rough sand at Ormond beach while making a good number of knots. It essentially rolled up in a ball. Fred Marriott, the driver, was injured but survived, and lived to a ripe old age. The Stanleys quit trying to set records. The engine from the speed car, geared down, became the engine for the Stanley mountain wagons. But there's a picture of the Stanley, parts strewn out into the surf looking like a yard sale, that ought to convince anyone that straight-line racing ain't safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

there has been a replica built of that Stanley using a mixture of original and rermanufactured parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Will,
The fastest time I've found for the six cylinder racer in the straight mile is 36 seconds (100 mph) in trials at Atlantic City in 1905:

There were three variations of the Ford six racer. Tomorrow I'll post a pic of each,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Actually, it is theorized that the Stanley racer's body shape worked like a lifting body and that caused the accident. That speed record held for Decades too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

The three versions of the Ford six racer-

Henry Ford driving, January 1905 at Ormond Beach:

1906, Ormond Beach:

1907 - 1909 version, Frank Kulick in the driver's seat:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Can you imagine going 100mph in one of those? Just doing 100mph on the Autobahn in a VW with wife and kids in the car was enough.

Took a lot of guts I would think.

Wonder if we can get a K to do 100? On a track of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:11 am:

I'd like to try. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Dave and Derek,
Yes, 100 mph would have been something to experience. This racer has over 1000 cubic inches, and must have been a fire breathing dragon too hear at the track.

The Model K has a 400 cubic inch engine with 3:1 differential. It was guaranteed to go 70 mph:

Our K touring would go 60 mph and I hope to touch 70 with the roadster at some point. With 37 inch tires the rpm at 70 would be just over 1900. However, to reach 100, we would have to run over 2700 rpm, and I think that would be too many rpm for the engine. Always fun to dream....

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Not too many rpm if it's balanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

Rob

Just install a Warford and you won't need the higher RPM, and balance the crank like Ralph suggests. I am sure Ed Archer can get 70+ out of his T, so your K can handle it. Then take out a good life insurance policy as well. I will bring a good video cam to film you as well. Vroom Vroom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Ed Archer has been clocked well in excess of 90 mph a few times. He used to tell of the time when he was doing 90 and broke a kingpin in one of the front spindles. A bit of an exciting ride as he used to tell it. But, fortunately, the pin broke at the bottom and the wheel stayed mostly in place.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Yup,You can get it to 100 but you will need this that,and the other stuff and soon what you have will not be the rare 640 roadster!!! Any model K is much to rare to pimp my ride!! Myself i think the K with seemingly no end of torque handles itself very well with moderate speed's!! Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration