Speedster Body what maker?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Speedster Body what maker?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Does anyone know the body maker for this speedster? Any others out there? I think its earlier 20's because of the wood firewall and single door. It's made for Model T chassis.#1#2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Better pictures would help. Otherwise, sorry, of no help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Yes. Post some pictures that can be made out. Plus lots of parts missing. Steering column, and the dash seems like the switch panel ('19-up) is on the far right, could it have been right hand drive?

Appears similar to Kustombilt or Limaco, but really can't tell from the poor photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

picpictPicturemore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

It has a coil box switch and left hand drivepictpi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Here are a few that are similar.

body 1

body 2

body 3

body 4

body 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Brian

The most notable feature on the body is that windshield, it's cast fitting up on the cowl, and the straight sides of the windshield hanging outboard on the body. And the cowl is higher than the body line too.

International Body Co. had that feature, and doors that are front hinged.

Could be this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Dan, I think you may be right. Looks real close to me. International also had several different rear deck treatments of the same basic body. In my little bit of speedster body research, it is amazing how many of the bodies are shown and advertised to use the "Ford" fenders, running boards, and splash aprons. It also appears (to me)that the "hey day" of the bodies was after 1917. Lots of the bodies were sold with the body, gas tank, hood and radiator shell. It appears the "target market" was the brass radiator car owners. To convert the "ugly" brass cars to the "modern look". Just my opinions for what little they are worth. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Dan the windshield is very close but it seams to have more of a bell shaped rear body, mine is strait and flat the back head rest area on mine does not flow with the body but extends out of it. Plus mine is far from comfortable as stated in the add (LOL).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 10:08 am:

This is what is looks like now. I put it on a 1927 chassis and added the 26-27 style switch to the dash originally it had the coil box mounted to the firewall with switch on the box.nownownownownow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Brian

Wow...what a transformation.

She sure looks spiffy!

Like the disc wheels, and that gloss black shows off great, you did a lot of body work to get those sides so straight, super!

It's a shame that those old body companies rarely marked or identified the product, so few have any kind of marks, serial numbers, or anything to identify the body. Then again, so many were home-made, but some done so nice it would be hard to know commercial body from owner built.

Guess you will have a chore to research, as most of the commercial concerns built many styles, and were always adopting new designs to sell bodies to fast Ford fellas :-)

Note: This one is #33 model, so this one maker must have offered many versions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Wow! What a fantastic job you did! Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Looks great!

I see MINN plates on the before pictures... where are you located?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Brian

Tell us about that radiator and shell.

Is it period or did you make it? Looks neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

The car had 1925 MN plates when I got it. I'm from ND but the person I got it from said he picked it up in MN a long time ago. I used a whippet radiator and shell I'd guess 1927.

At one time I saw a Equipto body that looked similar but had two door that hinged in the rear and a steel firewall and the lower casting of the windshield was a bit different anyone have info on the equipto body company?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

This is the one said to be an Equipto.I think it was an "ABC" or some other maker.Yours looks great.I'm hoping to finish up my "AUTOWA" roadster this spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Heyd on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

That's the one it looks pretty close.
Here's a picture of mine with her clothes off.speederspeeder
I used the original as patterns only all the wood and metal I remade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Here is adv from 1923 on ABC bodies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Of course there is also "FIDELITY".It seems a lot are out of Chicago.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration