Pedals Sticking to the drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pedals Sticking to the drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

New Engine rebuild. Took her out for a couple of miles today to begin letting everything seat and break in. The bands are adjusted very loose from the machine shop with instructions to slowly tighten. The low pedal does go pretty low to the floor, but it is "sticking" to the drum, like the oil is sealing the new kevlar bands. I had to pull the pedal back with my foot a few times. Is this just caused by the band being too loosely adjusted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Another possibility is that the link from the low pedal to the high clutch shaft is going "over center" when the pedal is fully depressed. You may have to tighten up the low band just enough to prevent this condition, read the attached description and diagram from Murray Fahnestock that has been posted many times on this forum:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

I agree with Mark. It's much more likely that the linkage is going "over center" than the bands are sticking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

So I first adjust the slow speed band tight enough so the band is fully engaged when the pedal arm is about an inch away from the steel pedal plates in the floorboard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Sounds like a good place to start. Then get under the car with a trouble light and have someone press the low pedal down hard and watch where the link attaches to the pedal to make sure that it still has a little kink in the direction shown in the diagram.

You want the low band to fully engage before the pedal ear and link form a straight line when looking from the side.

diagram

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

The clutch spring adjustment along with the slo-speed connection SHOULD have been previously adjusted by the engine/transmission rebuilder unless you did it yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Steve, in case you didn't see my email, I got those rims from you today in good condition, thanks!

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

In addition to the above, if that doesn't fix the problem, take off the inspection plate from the top of the transmission and push the pedal down as far as you can. The cam and notch should still be in the position where pushing further would continue to move the pedal to the right. Sometimes adjusting the bolt will not fix this problem because the cam is worn or the lining is too thin. A fix for that would be to replace the notch and cam. A fix which will work quite well without replacing anything would be to place one or two washers on the shaft on the pedal side of the band. Be very careful when you do this not to drop anything into the transmission.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Typical happening with bands adjusted 'too' loose.

Tighten up the low pedal again and check the running. A real loose band will let the pedal go over center. Same can happen with the reverse pedal too.

As long as you did the low speed-free neutral adjustment, and have a nice sweet spot for neutral when you have the clutch/brake lever forward, and push in from high and not immediately to low, then its likely the low pedal band is just too loose.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration