New Uses For Old Fordss

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Uses For Old Fordss
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

"The sailboat hull had laid in a boatbuilder's yard at the foot of Lake Pepin, and with a coat of well-tempered Bitumen roofing tar, was made waterproof". -Hugh Jass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

That's why I keep my car original. I don't want to own a "queer machine"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Love to have the paddle wheel set up but if it was used in the overgrown lake behind my home the Oregon land use conservatory would have me in jail. They check it four times a year and even though its full of fish impossible to fish its more important to leave it to eventually turn into a dam inundating my home two feet above high water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Some of us LOVE these "queer machines" and actively seek them out for preservation (in fact, that is all I do in this hobby). Arguably, no other vehicle in history was as "repurposed" into unusual applications as the Model T. Truly a testament to their durability and the ubiquity of their presence in American life. The "queer machines" themselves are marvels of backyard engineering. Unlike fully assembled cars, few of these repurposed vehicles have survived the intervening years. Doodlebugs, power units, sawmills and machines such as that floating weed eater offer a glimpse into the nature of America during the Depression and through WWII - where necessity drove inventiveness. Once these creations are gone, so to goes that part of our history. Vintage cars and trucks will always find someone to invest the time, money and effort to save them - that's not always the case with these "queer machines;" cannot "tour" with them, cannot have them "judged" for trophies, cannot run them into town for dinner. But they are an important aspect of the Model T and the enormous impact the vehicle had on a way of life; any survivors need to be preserved.

So, if anyone has any leads on any types of T-based "queer machines," let me know - I'm always looking for another to save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

But what operates the sicklebar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Would think nothing operates the sickle bar. The cutting spikes simply snag the weeds and the forward movement of the machine tears them out from the bottom.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration