Goldilocks fan belts: Too short, too long, none just right

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Goldilocks fan belts: Too short, too long, none just right
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I have a notion what to do about this, but I'll show the problem here in case somebody has a better idea. With the correct length fan belt on my 1915 roadster, the fan is low enough to just tick the crank ratchet and the nearest hose clamp. I thought the solution might be the next size longer belt, but it's way too long. What would you do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Steve, is your fan bracket the right one for the 15? the one with a kick in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Yes, it is. Part #3967. Eventually the new belt will probably stretch a little and I can raise the fan a hair to eliminate the contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

If you're using leather, soak it in warm water for a few minutes and stretch it a little in place over night. Then rub it down with Neatsfoot oil to take the radius sets out of it. Just don't soak it with oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Steve - Years ago, I needed a belt of a slightly different length than available at any vendors so, with the help of a local shoemaker, I made one.

A military web belt worked just great! Had it sewn together by the local shoemaker according to a string "pattern" that I had made, and smeared clear silicone rubber into the rough texture of the web belt for some "grip" and it worked great for several years. The trick is to make sure the sewn "overlap joint" runs "OFF" of the pulleys, not the other direction and altho' this was supposed to be a "temporary fix", it worked so well that I just left it for several years! FWIW,....harold

P.S. I realize that there are few shoemakers left, but there are still some commercial sewing machines around for canvas work, leather work, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Just remove the fan and the fan belt. Problem solved.

And stay out of parades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:31 am:

If you purchase a fan belt from one of the vendors, it should fit correctly off the shelf.

Four variables:

Fan bracket/arm

Fan hub

Crankshaft fan pulley

Belt size

I suspect you have a later, larger crankshaft fan pulley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:51 am:

I have two "Stock" Model Ts and had to go back about 3 times each to get belts that fit. Leather ones are all different... I finally gave up and went to the rubber belts and they do fit.
Your results may vary :-)
belts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:38 am:

Did the T have different fan sizes, diameter wise ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Yes, I believe three (maybe four - water pump models) different ones - now I'll go measure - I have three out of four !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Early riveted fan - 13" across, replacement pressed steel fan - 14" and the '26-'27 style pressed steel fan is right about 13 & 3/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Steve,
I ordered two 27" fan belts from one of our vendors for my '17 touring. Both marked 27" on the belts when I received them, the black rubber one fit perfectly, but the leather one (which I wanted to use) didn't come close to fitting over the pulleys!
When I finally measured it, it was only 25 3/4"! I soaked it in water, put it over my Model T jack and jacked it up until it stretched an inch longer. Put it on the pulleys, let it dry overnight, adjusted the tension and it's fine.
Was this leather belt just a mistake, or do they vary that much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

The correct belt length for a '17, if original fan drive pulley & fan pulley would be 25 & 7/8" in length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Steve, If the belt is too wide, cut off a little on the edge with a razor knife. With crowned pulleys it will seek the middle. I know this from using hit and miss farm motors with flat belts and crowned pulleys. I hope this helps. Kevin in Utah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

OOPs! Steve ; my brain was disconnected from my fingers. I took some tin snips to the 20's blade I run on my 1916. works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Steve,
IIRC there were several sizes of crankshaft pulleys. Is the pulley on your car the right one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Several suggestions would work. I could have had a special belt made at the saddle shop, but I didn't want to spend dough. I didn't want to cut any off the fan, though just a little would have done it. No, the crank pulley is the right one. The bigger one wouldn't fit into the 1915 pan.

With precision machining (running a 1/2" bit through a washer), I made a special accessory spacer.

Putting the spacer behind the bracket moved the fan forward 1/6", more than enough to eliminate the annoying tick, tick, tick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Glad to see the fix was so simple, so will you be taking it out for a drive soon? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I found once that my crank bushing had slipped out a bit which allowed the ratchet to hit against the fan blades on my '12. Tapped the bushing in toward the motor so it had clearance between the blades and also the crankshaft pulley.

I see you have plenty of clearance between you ratchet and the crank pulley also.

Just saying

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

It's hard to see because of the grease, but the bushing is flush in front. It occurs to me that I could probably have just bent the ticking blade forward 1/16" and saved the bother of making the spacer. Sometimes the obvious solutions are so simple we don't see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Had the same problem with my '15 touring. Finally went to NAPA and bought a 1" notched rubber belt to fit and turned it inside out. Worked perfect.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration