Transmission shaft measurement at clutch drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission shaft measurement at clutch drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 03:07 am:

What is the diameter of the transmission shaft where the clutch drum fits supposed to be? I have tried a couple of shafts and drums, including a pair I bought that was supposed to be a press fit, and all I have is a snug fit I cam press on by hand. At the point where the drum fits to the shat I have .993 at the point closest to the end of the shaft, and .994 a bit farther down. I don't know if the issues is the shaft or the drum...... The shaft itself is a beautiful fit for the drums and has been trued, but I'm concerned with this fit. One suggestion was to use loctite 277, which I have, but I don't know anyone that has done this for sure.

If the shaft is bad, does anybody have one available they don't need? I hate to buy a new one, and I don't want to do something I will regret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:29 am:

I have four used transmission shafts in the garage. Four of them measures 0.996" where the clutch hub goes and one is just 0.991"-0.993". When test fitting a clutch hub it wobbles on the worn shaft but is a press fit on the others. I would try to find another better shaft, they're not rare. Most all are a bit bent when measuring the flange, but it's easy to straighten it by taking just a little off both sides of the flange in a lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 10:08 am:

If you shave the flange, pay particular attention to the drum end clearance. That still needs to be maintained.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration