Fan housing, part#3969

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan housing, part#3969
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:33 am:

Has anyone seen one of these on a T? (Canadian parts book)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:51 am:

I don't know anything about Canadian production, but I believe those shrouds were used on US T's for a short time in the '17 model year. Apparently the cars cooled better without them, so they were discontinued. (I don't know why they didn't figure that out first.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Frank,

Dave Huson previously posted the photo of the fan shroud that came on an early 1917 (Aug engine date) that he had purchased. (Yes the radiator shell should have been painted black. A Previous owner painted the shell, headlamp rims, etc. brass color or may have had them plated – I don’t remember for sure. But originally we believe they would have been black.) Note that the radiator has a unique upper inlet – does anyone else have a similar shaped upper tank inlet? [I’m not sure if that is a style Ford used for a short time along with the shroud or if it might be a replacement tank and/or radiator that was fitted years ago? And I don’t remember if that question was resolved when the photos were first posted or not.]

That photo is on the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/71088.html?1225405473 where Bud Scudder (R.I.P.) added:

I have an early 17 made around Aug. 18, 1916. it has a shroud, but, I don't use as it causes the engine to run hotter and you cannot get to the timer very easy. I think it runs hotter because it concentrates a small stream of hot air directly on the engine, all the air passing thru the radiator is captured by the shroud, thus cannot flow away from the engine.

The radiator is quite different as it doesn’t have side braces. The shroud brackets were soldered and riveted to the tanks(2 at the top and 1 on the bottom). It was full of leaks and couldn’t be repaired, so I put the brackets on another radiator to use the shroud and found out the above info. I think I still have that original radiator around here some where. I know I still have the shroud. I had another, but sold it to Steve Hubert a long time ago and don't know if he ever used it or not. Maybe he had better luck than I did. Bud

Warren Mortensen at: http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/9817.html?1256637086 posted: An additional flaw was that as the fan was adjusted to take up slack in the fan belt, the blades would begin striking the shroud. I have a shroud for my Oct. '16 ('17 model) but the replacement radiator doesn't [have] the mounting tabs for the shroud on it. The radiators with the mounts for the shrouds are even rarer than the shrouds themselves, methinks.

And on that same thread – Dan Treace posted a comment and illustration of why the shroud was not very effective.

And as Mike Walker stated correctly above the shroud was only used for a short time in early 1917 production. From Bruce’s (R.I.P.) information we find that the shroud is only listed in the Nov and Dec 1917 Price List of Parts and was not listed after that. These are USA price lists – so it may have been listed in the Canadian, England, etc. price list of parts at the same or different times. Frank – could you please give us the date of the Canadian Price List of Parts that it is listed in?

Note the part number is 3969 and the Factory Number is T-8716. There is an excellent chance that if someone wanted the original parts drawing for the radiator shroud that they could contact the Benson Ford Archives and obtain a copy. Yes, they charge for providing copies – but it helps pay for the heating, cooling, lighting, etc. so others in the future may also have access to the information. And if someone stops by the archives, they may ask the nice folks there to look up factory number T-8716 and there is no charge for looking at the drawings while you are at the archives. There is an excellent chance that on the drawing it has a note "Obsolete with a date" which would indicate when they stopped trying to make more of them. (Previous orders may or may not have continued to come in depending on if the part had already been produced etc. And on hand stocks of older parts were often used up.)

And if anyone has additional photos of the radiator shroud or of an original radiator that has the brackets for holding the shroud would you please post them and/or send me a copy of them?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Here's another photo - this car is an unmolested, original sold in Hoquiam,WA and still close by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:54 am:

I had one,gave it to the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Steve -- Thank you for posting the photo. If it is possible, when you have a chance could you obtain some photos showing the top tank of the radiator along with the of the upper inlet going into the thank? I would like to have them for comparison to the top radiator tank above. Also of the brackets holding the shroud to the radiator. Or if you could forward my name and e-mail address to the owner and ask him when he has time if he would take a few photos and send them and/or post them. If you click on my name it has my e-mail address listed on the third line down.

Jack -- thanks for donating one of the fan shrouds to the museum! Many of us, myself included have never seen one -- only photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

That T is a ways from me but if I go to look it over again, I will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Bud Scudder had a 17 with one on it.I don't know if Jenny still has it ,but if you're around California,KY,you could ask.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration