Restoring TT Truck Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Restoring TT Truck Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

I am rebuilding a TT Truck Ruckstell axle and have some questions

Is it normal that the differential only has 2 gears instead of 4?

I discovered that the bolts of the ring gear where broken. This are special stepped bolts. Are these bolts available somewhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Two spider gears are normal. I don't know about the bolts, try the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

If you would show the parts on a light background we could see what you are doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Two spider gears are normal. I don't know about the bolts, try the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Gary Ludwig in Forest City, Iowa bought several TT Ruckstells from me just before Christmas. He has parts. I still have to send him the shift locks come to think of it. I'll make a note. I think the only bolts available are used ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Two spider gears were used on early TTs until 1920 or '21. (Hazy memory and no Parts Book in front of me.) Then Ford went to four spider gears. My guess is that field reports indicated that only two gears were insufficient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Two spider gears are normal for early tt's. They changed to 4 . It appears your carrier is designed for the 4 gear. If you need the 4 gear spider or bolts let me know what you need I will ship it fore postage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Thanks for the feedback!

@John All parts are full with grease so I had to put some plastic underneath it to keep my workbench clean. I will clean the parts this week so then I can make better pictures.

@Dean I will send you a PM

Another question from my side:
The three gears of the ruckstell have quite a lot of play. Between the gear and the axle and the axle and the housing? Is this normal or should this be a tight fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

G, et al;

A friend of mine inspired me when I saw he had covered his entire shop work bench
areas with white teflon sheeting, like the kind used for kitchen cutting boards. Really
makes for a nice working surface for durability, visibility, and clean up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration