Old lathe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old lathe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Slightly OT, Hi every one, I have been following your posts on showing us your shop and noticed most of you have a lathe. So here is my question, I have a very old Axle Son lathe and it works fine for most of my projects but now I want to cut some threads with it. It has a quick change gear box but the shift chart is missing so is there any way I can find information on which levers go where? One lever goes form A to D and the other one goes from 1 to 8. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

A search for the manufacturer name on the internet should lead you to either a discussion board or someone's web site devoted to old lathes where you should be able to find the charts. There is a good web site /discussion board for Atlas/Craftsman lathes where you could ask the members about yours and they may be able you point you in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Try a Goggle search.I found out all kinds of stuff on my Rivett lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

In the left pane, you can download the manual in PDF form. See if that helps.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4431

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

If ken's link can't help then try "Old Woodworking Machines sub category old Metalworking machines at http://www.owwm.org/index.php Hope this helps, these guy's are almost as good as this forum for getting good info. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 01:21 am:

There are several good machinist forums with very knowledgable and helpful guys there just like this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:18 am:

Just for "kicks" I did as Jack Daron suggested and "Google" produced all kinds of stuff on Axleson lathes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:27 am:

Did you try "Tonys UK" site. a wealth on info.
I have the same problem with a Greaves Klusman
heavy 20" X 8'. Maybe in the 1920s or before, its
a change gear. I have the plate but unreadable.
What I did time consuming was trial cuts measure
with pitch gauge try different gear combos and
measuring. Although we don't really thread with it
which we do on a Heavy 10 SB its nice to know. sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Are folks still taught to use a turret lath? Or has it been replaced with a 3-D printer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Ask your question on Practical Machinist in the correct category and you'll likely have a reply with a photo of someone elses change gear plate before the end of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

What is a "turret" lathe?

Okay. I'm joking. I actually have a couple certificates somewhere that were supposed to be hung on the wall saying that I am a trained machinist. But that was a long time ago. I was trained on a turret lathe, and have not used one since. The place I was trained at was hoping to get one of those "new CNC" setups someday.
I used a lot of bigger stuff years ago, but the only lathe I have used in ten years is my grandfather's little one. I don't know when he got it, but one of my uncles told me he remembered it from 1925.
Fun stuff!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

These folks have quite an assortment of parts for older lathes. They might have what you want.

Sobel & Sons Machinery
93 Garry Rd Closter NJ 07624
(201) 768-9645

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Jim,
I have an Axelson lathe, too. I think it may be just a bit bigger than than the one pictured. It looks identical otherwise. I can take pics of the data plate with info for thread cutting. I bet it is the same for your lathe. I am returning from the Turlock meet at the moment and will get the pics to you when I return. The Axelson is a quality machine. Take care of it and it will serve for generations to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:26 am:

-Wayne- I did the 'turret' lathe as well, plus many others (including a Simplex boring machine) when I worked at FWD-Seagrave building fire trucks. One learns to appreciate quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 01:40 am:

It should only take a few minutes to make a chart from scratch. Just measure the advancement in turns per inch of travel. Set the gear selectors in each combination and count the hand turned spindle to advance one inch.

I have a lathe about the same vintage but it has gears to change and a chart. I always double check the advancement on each set up.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Jim,
Sent you a PM. I need your email so I can send you pics of an Axelson threading data plate.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I saw the title of the thread and thought it was about a town in Kansas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Jim that Lathe of yours looks a lot like a SouthBend model. Southbends have a model number stamped into the front of the Way, out on the far right end as you are facing the lathe. You can use this number to tell the model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Fred,
Thanks for your post, It's not a South Bend. and no numbers. In fact thanks to all of you who posted on the subject. I learned a lot from the input on this forum. I was lucky enough to have a gentleman with the same lathe send me a picture of the quick change gear box with the shift chart on it.
Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration