Old Photo - Model T Era Grange Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era Grange Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Since a sign refers to "petrol" and another sign at the back refers to "Pty. Ltd." (Proprietary Limited, aka corporation), the picture is Aussie or Kiwi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:56 am:

The C.O.R pump, left hand end, is Australian (Commonwealth Oil Refineries) a brand available into the 1950's. Purr-Pull (3rd from left) was also a brand available in Oz. The Staghorn Ferns on each post suggest that the location is somewhat tropical, so I would guess at Queensland.

While typing the above, a hunt on Trove has found the photo.
Title: Workers pose at Grange Garage, Brisbane, ca. 1941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:01 am:

No problem selling a number of different brands on the3 same site. Interesting to see Castrol.Shell and Texaco all on the same site! Would never happen today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:38 am:

The last two independent service stations I can recall in South Australia were in Murray Bridge and Meningie in the late 60s. Both had 3 or 4 brands of fuel available. Castrol oils were sold at most service stations. Consequently, their oil bottles are amongst the most plentiful for collectors today.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:57 am:

I well remember the "Independant" service stations. They were privately owned, and bought their bulk fuels from whichever wholesaler they deemed fit, hence several brands at the one site. One very small service station near where I grew up (Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria) sold Ampol, COR, Atlantic and Plume. Some of us thought that the four pumps all connected to the same underground tank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:33 am:

I don't know if it applied to all states but when I had my service station some 35 years ago and the small fuel company's slowly disappeared, we only had to sell 51% of the advertised signage brand. Not that it made much difference who you bought from, still stuff all profit in retailing gas.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration