Hub bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hub bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:07 am:

I noticed the wood wheel on my canopy express seemed loose. When I removed the wheel I found one nut wad sheered off, and another with stripped threads. I ordered replacement nuts and bolts, and wondered if there was a preferred way to keep them from backing off. I will put Locktite on the thread, anything else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Peen them over. The nut won't come off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:57 am:

I used to peen them over, but then, on occasion, found the need to unscrew them—which, of course, I couldn't do—and was forced to grind them off. -Now, I do it differently:

Start with new bolts and nuts, but don't toss the old nuts just yet. -If, for whatever reason, your old nuts are unusable, buy an extra set of nuts; they're dirt cheap. -If we're talking the rear wheels, shorten the bolts to the point where they don't scrape anything when the wheel is spun. -When you use the hacksaw, do so with a few of the old nuts screwed down on the bolt so you can use them to chase the threads after you finish cutting.- Tighten the nuts together like jam-nuts and line the flats up so you can use them to hold the bolt in the vice for cutting. When you're done doing that to all the new bolts, discard the old nuts and use new nuts. -Use LocTite and torque them down good.

If it's a front wheel, there's no need to shorten the bolts, and because they're exposed and easily accessible, you can either use LocTite or just check them for tightness periodically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:03 am:

While you have the wheel apart, check the spokes to be sure they are tight against both the felloe and the hub. If the spokes are not tight, no matter how much you tighten the bolts, they will eventually work loose. Especially so on the rear wheels because you have both the torque of the engine and the action of the brakes pulling against the bolts. If the spokes are loose, they will move back and forth on the hub which will wear the wood and loosen things up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:08 am:

I used high strength loctite (the red stuff) and have had great results, I check them on a regular basis. My thoughts are that peening will stop the nut from coming off, but they can still loosen up. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Use RV Andersons grade 5 hub bolts. They are just like the originals, and be sure to use 11/16" across the flats nuts too. The store bought ones are 5/8. I've used blue locktite on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks for the input. I got the nuts and bolts from Langs , and painted the heads yesterday. Next weekend I will replace them all. Thanks for the reminder about the rear wheel bolts being too long, I will check them out.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration