OT - 8mm movie film copying

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - 8mm movie film copying
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Does anyone here scan 8 mm movie film and reproduce on CD or VHS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I found a someone on EBay to convert my dad's 8mm film to digital. They did a great job and I have sent others to them. They can put them on a DVD but that ends up being one big file or if you supply a thumb drive they will put each roll in a different file

They are. In Caulfield Mo and it costs $2.95 for a 50 ft reel10 reel minimum. I believe their name is something like Calanti Video. They go under the name print-91 on Ebay and usually show a single orange and red Kodachrome II box in their ad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Do you have an 8mm projector?

I had good results projecting 8mm home movies close to the screen or wall in a dark room and recording it with a standard camcorder. You want to project it in a small aspect ratio.

You can use a digital camera, smart phone anything you can mount on a tripod or any way to keep the recorder from moving; you can then transfer it to your pc and then make DVD copies or save it to a USB flash drive. If you have a pc cam you can record it directly to your pc.
It sounds archaic but it worked well for me. I would be nervous about sending irreplaceable movies through the mail without making a duplicate even if it does not come out the way you like it. Itís better than losing them altogether if they get lost or damaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Walgreen's can do it and they turn out nice.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Costco also does it, but I have no knowledge of the quality of the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I believe Wal-Mart may do it. They do most anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

You would need to be sure what you have and that the place knows the difference between 8mm and Super 8mm. They are not the same and running one on the others projector will tear the film up. I have had some converted by a local professional several years ago. It was 8mm film from the 1950's and 1960's. They came out nice. I went to one video shop in Wichita where they claimed to do the conversion. The receptionist was doing it and the film had "lost its loop". The sprocket holes were being torn out and she was over visiting on the phone. I just turned around and walked out.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

That's why I would try to do it myself before handing over irreplaceable movies to someone that does not know what they are doing.

Better to have a backup before you hand them strangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I can say that the people I dealt with did a great job and the price was reasonable.

The folks I referred to them were also very happy.
We have done close to 50 Rolls of 8 mm without a problem.

All I can say is that they did good by me and my friends.

And if you send naked pictures of your girl friends they will not duplicate them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

For you gutter minded guys. I did not send picture of my naked girl friends or any think like that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

So Fred, how do you know they won't duplicate pictures of your naked girl friends? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Costco as mentioned above. Good quality and good price. i've done it a number of times

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Henry. When I talked to the them they made it clear that they were a family business and they would duplicate nothing like that

I respect then for taking that position

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

No naked shots hum? Some of these films have my cute little bare baby butt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:04 am:

Along the same line but different, does anyone know where 35mm slides can be made into prints? Walgreens used to do it but changed out their machines last July and can't do it any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:21 am:

David, your best bet for reproducing slides is to buy a scanner and do it yourself. It's been several years since I bought my Epson scanner, but I don't recall it being painfully expensive. This slide was copied with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:43 am:

There are small, cheap film scanners for home use - these scanners are not very high resolution which may or may not be acceptable depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I bought a VuPoint digital film scanner at the thrift store for $8. In addition to slides, it can be used to scan negatives which I can then turn into positives using the photo software already loaded on my computer.

If you have it done professionally, they should use a back-lit, high resolution scanner.

If you search the internet, there are DIY methods to back light a slide and use a digital camera to take a photo of it.

I scanned this 50 year old slide of my dad's 1910 IHC using the cheap VuPoint scanner described above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Thanks guys. I have enough trouble just posting on here though! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:56 am:

My stock suggestion: Get some kid to show you how. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration