Halogen bulbsn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Halogen bulbsn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike bartlett Oviedo,Fl on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Installed a pr. Of 6v halogen h. Light bulbs in my 27 touring. A little brighter than original type. I noticed my amp gauge was on the discharge side quite a bit. The car runs on battery only,never on mag. Is my generator in need of a rebuild? Battery is fairly new and in good shape. Mike in Oviedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Mike,

The halogen bulbs draw more amps then standard bulbs. There are two options as I see it.

1. Adjust the third brush on the generator to increase the output of the generator. The down side of this might be that the battery will be over charged when the headlights are not on.

2. Get a Voltage Regulator from Fun Projects and the generator output will self-adjust the the load.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Mike,
It has been said before, but is worth repeating: reflectors really make the difference. Halogen light bulbs with old, or chrome reflectors won't give you much more light than standard bulbs. I replaced the standard bulbs with 25 watt halogens, coupled with reflectors re-done by Uvira. At $75 it was the best money I have spent on getting better headlights. Even better, Bill Atwood at Uvira told me they can do the reflectorization on chrome re-pops if they are in good shape. So, I sent him a set along with my $75 check just to see. They are as nice as the set of nickel plated and polished ones I sent him a couple months ago. Don't know what re-silvering costs, but I'll bet it's more than $75, and these reflectors don't tarnish.

I would also ditto Bob's recommendation on the FP regulator. Set it, and forget it. Works great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Kevin,

Do you have contact information for Uvira?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Bob,

The address is:

Bill attwood
UVIRA Inc.
310 Pleasant Valley Rd.
PO Box 1137
Merlin, OR 97532

If you get a chance give Bill a call. He's an old car guy himself and loves to talk up the hobby and share his knowledge. He is a super guy and credit to the "affliction". Like I said, ship him your reflectors and a check for $75 (shipping included). Be aware: they can do chrome re-pops in good shape, but if you have the old silver reflectors you need to have them nickel plated and polished first. He'll do them and ship back in a couple weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Kevin is quite right about the need for good reflectors. Anything you can do will help. I can't say if the reflectivity of chrome is any better than that of nickle, but I will say that both of them will never surpass silver.

I had the reflectors re-silvered for my coupe and touring and the improvement in the projection of light was, for me, jaw dropping. I was SO pleased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Chrome or nickel only provides the base for UVIRA to spray their aluminized glass finish over. Reflectivity is similar to silver, but never tarnishes. This finish is used on many medical and laser instruments. Bill Atwood just does it as a service to the old car community. At $75/pair, I doubt he is making much more than a cup of coffee for profit.

Bill, enjoy the snow and feel free to send some our way. My snowmobiles are rusting in the garage from lack of snow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration