Passing on the knowledge and skills

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Passing on the knowledge and skills
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

I am impressed by the many members of this forum who have the talent and skills to remanufacture parts for carburetors, transmissions, engines, axles, wheels, body panels, wood frames, electrical parts, and all the accessories that make a Model T as well as other antique cars run and look good. I don't care if you do it as a hobby or if it is a business for you but I was wondering how many have taken another person or youngster under wing to teach and mentor them so these skills can be passed on. I've noticed over the years that many have shared the information they have discovered but the skilled trades need to be taught with hands on experience. I see many posts with members displaying their shop and all the equipment but is anyone teaching others how to use it and make the parts we use? I tinker and do not have the skills to do what many of you do and I am thankful that you share this with everyone and if I wasn't an old fart I'd be pestering someone to teach me. So I guess I'm asking are you passing your skill to the next generation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Dennis, you're never too old to learn. After seeing folks on the forum making some of their own parts, a couple of years ago I signed up for a machine shop class at the local juco. It didn't make me a real machinist, but now I can do a few simple things with what I learned there. About twenty-five years ago, when I was almost fifty, I took a welding class there. Again, it didn't make me an expert, but it sure has come in handy over the years.

As for passing on my limited knowledge, I'd love to. Maybe when I'm out in a T I'll meet some younger person who would like to get into the T world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I'm not sure I have the patience to teach some of the backward techniques I use. I did put photos in a book that I leave on my Swap Meet table. Not too many folks take the time to look at it but occasionally a youngster picks it up and looks. At least it is there to spark an imagination or two. Some of the quiet ones will look but not ask questions. Anything we can do to pass the fun along helps I believe.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Done
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

I put poison in the well every chance I get. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

The best thing is also a very rare thing. It happens when a very interested person meets up with a knowledgeable person who has the time and resources, desire,etc. If either side of the equation is lacking, nuttin gets passed down. I learned things because I was soooo curious about how things worked I bugged people, watched them, and took a lot of things apart. It sure is nice to not learn things the hard way but instead to take some know-how that comes straight from a person who made the mistakes for you.

Almost any time you get folks together of different vintages who share a common interest, somebody gonna learn something.

I try to be willing to share. It won't go anywhere is nobody is interested. If a youngster shows interest in our cars the worst thing we can do is be grumpy or unfriendly. If we talk it up and show our enthusiasm, seeds will be planted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

I learn from this forum every day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

I'm passing it on to the next, next, next generation. I had two grand daughters, a grand S.I.L. and a great grandson over this weekend. The great grandson is seven and had to touch and run just about every tool in the shop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

I'm learning from you guys and using those skills learned on the farm and passed to me from my father to work on our T projects with my three sons aged 9 through 17 , my 9 year old was talking to me yesterday wanting to know when Mr.Patterson would be done with the coils ( just sent them a couple days ago ) and why I haven't sent that old brass carb to Mr. Howe yet ? ( in mail tomorrow) . Since they heard it run as is they won't stop till we are driving it ! Which I think is fantastic So thanks to all of you guys.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration