New tool,Fan shaft nut.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New tool,Fan shaft nut.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Necessity being the Mother of invention,today I had a particularly tight fan shaft nut,and nothing I tried would loosen it. My son dropped by and together we used a piece of new 1 1/2 tailpipe,a couple of 7/8 woodriff keys and dreamed up this tool. I drilled a 1/2 hole in the upper part to stick a 3/8 extension in,for a handle.It loosened the shaft and then just turning it with your fingers,out it came.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Jack

Love that!

Could have used it this week, had to find a Crescent wrench with small enough jaws to just fit, and use a Vice-Grip pliers for leverage, but your thingy is better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Don't have one handy to try but wouldn't the adjustable Ford wrench work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

The Ford and Crescent wrenches have the same problem, getting the jaws down inside the opening. Jack that is a good tool. A+

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

I just did that job, that tool is just what I needed! PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Sounds like you need to go into mass production, Uncle Jack! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

OK.
Yes it would be a handy tool. Got it filed away for future use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

They are easy enough to make. Just use an old fan shaft to line them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:14 am:

An old tubular spark plug socket or chainsaw wrench would be good to modify too. Nice job Jack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:45 am:

I think I will add a washer inside,just above the flat areas. It should make the tool like a socket and it will be easier to use to spin the shaft out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Model a spark plug wrench works good also, Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration