Detatchable ear Transmission bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Detatchable ear Transmission bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I am working on a friends 1917 T, and someone took apart the trans bands out back in 1988 and never put it back together. Two of bands are the style described in the Ford service manual, the third is different style of band.They are all the removable ear style. Is this a problem? Dose it matter if they are not all matching?

The next problem is that whoever changed the bands, did not change the clutch pedal shaft and adjusting screw. Dose anyone have an old set of bands for sale so I don't have to drill out the existing shaft?

Also, when I drained the oil from the engine, it came out kind of brownish. Since I have the hogs head off, is it worth while spraying down the the mag and trans gears with kerosene or brake clean to flush it out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Not sure what you mean by drilling out the shaft.
The manual explains the procedure for installing the detachable ear bands to replace the old style.

The manual does say to shorten the slow speed shaft by cutting it down. paragraph 543-545. You can get the detachable ear bands pretty cheap on Ebay fairly often.

Since you have the transmission cover off it would be a good idea to wash the trans, mag and trans gears. Just be careful and don't use a pressure washer and knock off the insulation on the mag ring coils!

Fill the crankcase with diesel or kerosene install the oil drain plug and use the handcrank to turn the engine over and over.
Let it sit up over night and drain it out the next day. You'll be surprised how much sludge and crud you will clean out of the engine.
Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Ed, first, it is okay to have two different style bands. That will not cause any problems.
You do not need to cut the clutch pedal shaft and change adjusting screw if you do not want to use the detachable ears the next time you need to change the bands. You will need to pull the hogs head to change the bands if you just put the trans back together unmodified. Some people pull the hogs head to change the bands no matter if there is removable ears or not.
That being said, it is easy to make the changes needed to use the removable ear bands. Just get the new adjusting screw at any vender and make one cut. Easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Detachable ears came in at least two styles, mix or match, use what you have. Modern Kerosene will degrease all your iron and steel allowing them to rust immediately. I don't know where you can buy the old smelly kerosene of my youth these days. If you are going to wash it out I would use diesel. However, if it were mine and I could get it to run,I would refill the crankcase with 4 quarts of 5W-20 detergent oil and let it run for a few hours, drive it a while if you can then drain it and refill with 10W-30 detergent oil. The detergent oil will loosen up a lot of the crud carry it in suspension and it will come out when you drain it. Detergent oil changed frequently, in my view is the best way to clean up the internals of engine and drive train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Guys there a right and wrong wat putting in the bands i forgotton witch side te detachable ear goes on
I used bothe styles n one car no issue what so ever

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Thanks for the info. Steve, I did not realize that the reason for the modified clutch shaft was only to allow the removal of that type of band. So if I can just reassemble the hogs head that is fine. I do not think my friend will be putting many miles on the car to the point of wearing down the bands.I saw in the service book about cutting the shaft and saw the new shaft in Lang's catalog and they look not only short , but cut down in diameter.
I will gently spray some kerosene into the gears and turn the engine a few times to get some of the gunk out. Then do as Ted said and run the engine for a while and change the oil out.
Thanks again, this info saves me more work to get this car back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 06:56 am:

I will have to get my service book out in the barn and look again, but do I just need to cut back the shaft to be able to use the detachable ears? I need to order an adjustable screw, and I could get the one for the removable ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Ed

You can use detachable ear bands with the older long low speed shaft and adj. screw with the hole to receive that low speed shaft.

That will then make the 'detachable' ear band now non-detachable! But if you do like you said, the owner won't probably ever need to change the bands thru the inspection cover if you use Kevlar anyway!

And, changing the bands could be done at some later years the old way, lift the hogshead!.

IMO, the design of the low speed shaft is better with the earlier design, give a bit more leverage on the low band, as the spring can distort with the shorter shaft and the short shaft adj. screw of the later 1924 detachable band arrangement. Probably not much, but seems to me to be a better way, the old design.

non-detachable band pedal shafts and adj. screw

Full length low pedal shaft across the spread of the band ends, spring contained on longer shaft.

Detachable ear bands, use a shorter low speed shaft and short adj. screw, less support of the spring and less support on the open band ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:35 am:

The detachable ear goes on the side where the pedals are so that you can slide the other ear around with the detachable ear at the top for removal. Also, if the engine is out and you are planning to use your magneto and the magneto ring has not been rewound with new insulation, I would recommend that you either replace with one which has been rewound or that you rewind it following the instructions in the "electrical system" book. It is well worth the cost to do it while your engine is out than to do it later. Otherwise, be very careful cleaning things. The old magneto insulation is like old paper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Ed

If you don't want to change out the pedal or the low speed shaft, or buy a new short adj. screw, then cut the longer low speed shaft about 1" from the boss.

and the cut a bit off a threaded bolt, and thread the inside of the earlier style hollow long adj. screw and lock tite in this extension for containing the band spring. That will be just like the short adj. screw.

But be prepared for some 'distort' of the low speed band spring, as it's now just captured between the ends of the pedal shaft and the adj. screw.

Typical of the detachable ear band on the low pedal.

Works, but when the lining gets worn down, you can see the distortion best.

(This wood lining on the low band needs replacement.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Thanks guy's, I think I will leave the old style shaft and adjustment screw as they are.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration