Mike Walker, have you seen this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mike Walker, have you seen this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:09 am:

First picture on the page. I think it's a modern shot from the sixties, but pretty good detail.

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/130-Model-T-Era-Original-Period-Pho tos/page25

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Is THIS the elusive Doctor's coupe?!?

I don't even know what a doctor's coupe is supposed to be. Just see it get thrown around a lot whenever there's a "coupe" picture. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Yes, it's a modern pic. You can tell by the very incorrect Ford script on the rad and the perfectly clean whitewalls are a dead giveaway, even on a new car. Plates that say "NY EMPIRE STATE" were only used from '57 to '63.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:04 am:

"Man" look at the "shine" on that body, and 4 white wall tires to go with it .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:07 am:

I missed the license plate, so that explains the "shine" good eye Dave ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:14 am:

That photo was discussed on the forum back in 2013:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/404828.html?1385825093

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Hi, Steve -- Thanks for posting that. I haven't looked at the other forum recently, so I had not seen this. I'll save the picture, for sure.

It is an excellent photo, no telltale modern things in the background. But I agree it's of a restored car, not a new one. The "modern" whitewall tires are a dead giveaway. I can't make out the year of the license plate, but it's not at all like ones from the 'teens. NY plates from 1958 and 62 were black on yellow, with NY EMPIRE STATE and the last two digits of the year on the bottom line. I guess it could be either of those.

It looks to be an exquisite restoration, and its owner can be very proud to have the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Wow! Four other posts appeared while I was looking up plate styles and typing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

I noticed that this coupelet does not have a drivers side mirror. Was it added for the 16 model year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

No Model T came from the factory with any mirrors.

Dealer option rear view mirror in the later 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Interesting, my couplet has a drivers side mirror, looks factory but then again I'm not a t expert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Here is a picture.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/fbergski/1916%20Ford%20Model%20T%20Coupe let%20Preservation/1B%20-%20Coupelet%20before%20photos/IM000054.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I suspect a search of Bruce's encyclopedia won't turn up a any mirrors. My hunch is that they were strictly an aftermarket accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Outside mount rear view mirrors were accessory in the early days of motoring. Claims are the first rear view mirror was on Ray Haroun's racer in the 1911 Indy Race....but who really knows.

Ford had its first rear view mirror for closed car in June 1924, and the open cars had the upper frame drilled for these in Sept 1924. The closed and open car mirrors were mounted inside the car.

The early names were "mirrorscope" and "diminishing mirror" and then "hind view mirror" and ultimately rear view mirror.

Have 1909 Horseless Age magazine that mentions a mirroscope in a column on new products, but no picture, to confirm this early date of use on an auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Guess the web needs updating on the facts!

From Wiki:
thereby inventing the rear view mirror before it was introduced by manufacturers in 1914.[1] The earliest known rear-view mirror mounted on a motor vehicle appeared in Ray Harroun's Marmon racecar at the inaugural Indianapolis 500 race in 1911.

Uh...easy to research that rear view mirrors were on cars in 1909, and perhaps earlier, for sure, one ref on 'closed car usage' is 1906!

The claim of Ray Harroun's first use in 1911 as THE FIRST ON A AUTO according to 'Historians' is false.

Like Henry Ford said.....'history is Bunk!' :-)

1906!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Hey Dan! But we saw it on the internet!! (WIki) So it must be true!??! LOL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration