Replacing Just the Low "Quick Change" Band

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Replacing Just the Low "Quick Change" Band
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Hopefully I won't have to do this anytime soon, but I'm thinking ahead to the time when I'll have to do a band replacement.

Since I run AC brakes, my transmission brake band is adjusted so that it engages only when I really stomp down on the brake pedal (like for a panic stop). I only use my reverse band once a drive (when I first back out of my driveway). This leads me to believe that the only band getting significant use on my car is the low band. I currently have "quick change" bands in the car.

Does anyone have any experience with just changing the low band that they could share? I know that the service manual says to insert the band from the driver's side, into the passenger side of the transmission, which would put the detachable ear on the driver's side once the band is installed.

But, on first look, it would seem to make more sense to me to completely remove the external adjusting screw and insert the band from the passenger side into the driver's side of the transmission - that way, the fixed ear on the band will engage the pedal shaft and low speed cam on the driver's side once the band is in place, leaving plenty of room on the passenger side to install the detachable ear. Once the detachable ear is in place and the spring is installed, the adjusting screw and locknut could be threaded back into the hogshead, finishing the job.

Also, there are no pedals, linkage, or Bendix covers in the way on the passenger side, so it should be easier to feed the band in while keeping its rounded shape.

Any thoughts? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:35 am:

In order to remove the detachable ear (d.s.), one needs to drop the opposite ear (p.s. fixed) into the "abyss" in order to get the detachable ear over to the right (p.s.) away from the pedal bosses to remove the ear, then grab the remaining ear, pull out the band going right to left, trying to follow the curvature of the transmission cover near the slo-speed connection linkage.

I've always removed the brake band first to gain more access room in order to replace just the low band - not a lot of room in there to try and replace the low band ! In order to remove detachable ear bands inserted opposite the Ford manual, all the bands need to be taken to the rear of the brake drum to have enough room to remove the ear but it can be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:51 am:

On one of the national tours I had to replace my low band on the side of the road ( don't ask why!!).. I found I had to take out the reverse band and then the low band and yes the book is right you install the end with no ear from the drivers side into the passengers side and using a thin strap pull the band under the pedals, slip on the ear and then pull the fixed ear back up to the top. It is easier to remove as much as possible, the reverse pedal just comes out and the low band adjustment screw can be moved out of the way. As I remember it didn't come out all the way, it hit the hot exhaust pipe....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Ok, thanks guys, I was hoping there would be an easier way, but when the time comes I'll follow the service manual instructions. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

In 2008 on my trip to Alaska I changed my low speed band 7 times along the road (dry rotted cotton bands looked good). Just move the reverse band to the front. I now run Kevlar & haven't changed them since.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration