Gas tank replacement on 1924 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gas tank replacement on 1924 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Any tips on removing and replacing the gas tank on a 1924 touring? Can the tank be lifted up and out through the opening under the front seat? Should the strap mounts be unbolted from the frame and removed together with the tank? Does the body need to be lifted?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I took mine out on the coupe over thirty years ago and I don't remember any trauma other than getting out the pins in the bolts to the chassis. Recently I took out a round tank on a 14 touring and it was very tight, but it came out. In both cases I left the straps around the tank. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Don't imagine the 23's any different so pull it with the straps on & un-bolted from the frame. Comes out through the seat bottom hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:52 am:

I recently remove a fuel tank from my 1924 coupe. I had to undo the straps from the frame and remove a flat piece of iron that is above the tank near the center. (Support for the seats I guess)
OH: I forgot, drain the tank and I think I removed the sediment bowl from bottom of the tank and of course, the fuel line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:53 am:

They type faster than I do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

I just did this on my '23 Runabout a year or so ago. The tank comes out easily from above. The brackets & straps are the hard part of re-installing the tank. I found that the tank had to installed and then removed again to adjust the mounts - several times.

The good news is the newly made tanks will solve your rust problems.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Paul is right about the gas tank straps locations and getting the tank in the right position to bolt it back down correctly.

I found it out when I had some better straps in my parts pile I installed on the tank of my 21 touring. Boy was I surprised! It took 'several times' and pushing this way and that with the straps loose on the tank to get it lined up right.

Sounds easy but not what you would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

I'll bet they had some sort of jig at the factory to make sure they got everything just where it needed to be. For us it is just trial and error.

Vintage Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration