Rear spring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear spring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Koch on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Hi, I have a 24 depot hack with a 9 leaf spring that barely supports 4 people in it. My question is a 10 leaf totally different or can I just add a leaf? If so where would the leaf be added? I have seen 8 leafs & it seems with 8&9 leafs they are all equidistant at the ends,or close to being so.
Thanks,Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

The only way I would recommend adding a leaf is if there is one missing from the spring you have. This may not be the only answer but here is one idea. The spring on yours may be tired or the wrong one? I know there is a spring supplier advertised in our club mag that sells a new made rear spring for a rig like yours. Made a big difference on my T. No fun bottoming out while going over bumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Nice looking hack by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

That person standing on the pedestal in back sure is tiny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Russell I would do one of two things: if the money isn't a problem the I'd recommend getting either the Hasslers or the Double Hasslers that are for sale in the classifieds. It'll help that back end stand up some more.

If, on the other hand, you don't want to go that route, I'd take the spring off that you have and re-arch them. That will probably take care of it. If you still feel like you need another spring then I'd get another one like the one that sits on top of the lowest spring (with eyes). Double that one up. Re-arching is probably your most effective/cheapest way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Russell,

If I were to think about adding a leaf, it would definitely be the #2 leaf, (counting from the eye leaf up). Just be sure that a second #2 leaf will stack well with the rest of the spring assembly and not bind at any point with leaves above or below it. Any point where the leaves will bind will also be the point where it will break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Looking at your profile photo of the Depot Hack, it appears that there is very little clearance with the rear wheels even with no passengers.

Some thoughts;

1. Your spring is fatigued or has broken leaves where you can't see the breaks.
2. Your fenders are mounted too low?
3. Do you consider the car to be overloaded because the rear spring is flat out and nearly touching the axle tubes OR because the fenders are rubbing? (see #2)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 26, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Better yet, follow Erich's advise and get a new heavy duty 10 leaf rear spring from T Springs.

These are all new, properly arched and will make your hack stand back up again.

The photo in your profile shows your T already low in the back without any passengers. Suspect that rear spring is rather tired now and has lost its arch and strength. A spring shop can re-arch, but you have to give the specs, for height and main spring leaf length, T-Springs has done that...they use Ford specs, so you will have the right spring.

http://www.t-springs.com/3b.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:48 am:

I agree with Jerry, your rear fenders are mounted to low. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:49 am:

I looked also at the profile photo and agree that the rear fenders are too low. Most T's with a full load will sit low in the rear and the unloaded rake in the photo does not look all that bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Koch on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

THANK-YOU for the replies! One thing I didn't say was that it leaned to the left & that was the fender that would rub. I pulled the spring & there are no broken leafs & was going to turn the spring, but now I'm thinking a 10 leaf like Erich & Dan said, but don't really want to spend the money for a new one. Are you guys thinking the same as me that buying a used 10 leaf would be a crap shoot? I didn't build the body but in taking a 2nd look at the rear fenders I see that they line up with the splash aprons, so I dunno?
Russ
P.S. Thanks Erich. The guy I bought it from I don't think even new how to drive it lol. The guy he bought it from I think built it but died before I bought it. I would have LOVED to talk with him!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

"...buying a used 10 leaf would be a crap shoot?"

Russell -- You already have a used one. :-) The best solution would be to buy a new one, but they are big bucks, as you know. The second-best solution would be to have a spring shop re-arch yours, for a lot less money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Koch on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Mike, I'm talking going from a 9leaf to a 10leaf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 01:06 am:

Fellows, you can add extra leaves to front springs with ease, because there is only one shallow bend to negotiate. The rear spring is something else. There are three bends in these. When the spring is built, each leaf needs to mate with those above and below for the spring to work properly. Introducing an extra leaf can only upset this stack. If it follows the leaf below, the one above cannot accurately follow the new leaf if it closely followed the original. There will be gaps/miss matching in the stack.

The only real answer is to have the spring re-set.

Robert Fish told me so!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:55 am:

I'm guessing you have your rear fender mounted too low. Those 9 leaf rear springs will throw you right into your top if you go over a bump too fast. I have one in my '25 pickup, and it is as stiff as they come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Russell,

Rather than just turning the spring around, only turn every other leaf. This will average out your left-side sag without causing a new right-side sag.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration