Coil Box Input Connections

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil Box Input Connections
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:35 am:

When did Ford stop using the two separate MAG and BATTERY input posts on the coil box? Was it 1919 on electric cars?

And when did the extra hole in the firewall disappear? With the 1924 high-hood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Ken

The metal coil box without switch and only one post for the mag only came along in 1923.

Your right about the 1924 metal high firewall, it now had the extra hole gone. The 1923 metal firewall for low hood had both holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:43 am:

My 21 only has one post for hook up. I am sure the other hole was there so the wood could be used on earlier cars and trucks. I replaced the coil box wood a loooong time ago. Looking at the photos of my car, the extra hole was in the firewall so the same firewall could be used on earlier cars for replacement use. I would guess about the time the switch became standard on the dash and moved from the coil box, the battery post was dropped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Thanks Dan.

Ok, I think my confusion was the switch noted for use with 1919-25 models. Or some such, I don't know. :-)

I was trying to verify whether the early Mercury Body firewall should have two holes or one hole. The original is chopped up so bad it's hard to tell what was supposed to be there. I would suspect they went along closely with the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Ken

Jarvis might know. In his book on Mercury, the few firewall photos show the two holes for the batt and mag terminals if that helps.

Early I guess for a Mercury would be 1920 or 1921?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Thank you again. Yes, '21. That's a relief because It has two holes now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Wheeler on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

I have the same ? On my 25 tt I rewired the whole truck and did not have a wire for the batt connection where does the power draw from? Thanks Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Dan, off the switch which has a switched connection. Battery Off Magneto with a single wire running to the coil box.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration