Old Photo - 5 Auto Polo Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - 5 Auto Polo Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Lions Two Christian's Nothing, And A Roar Came Up From The Crowd.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Two things:
1) From the looks of those bars I'd guess these cars were upside down more often than not.

2) Look at how far those frames twist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:15 am:

And not a helmet in sight !! The nannys would have to shut that down if this was occurring today..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Some of those rear wheels look like they are still spinning. I wonder how long a T motor will run up side down . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Great photos, Jay! There are a few other Auto-polo photos circulating the internet a lot more that have been seen and critiqued a lot. The consensus seems to be that a few of them are staged (been discussed on this forum a few times). Most of these ones, however, appear to be real action shots.
I do know the game and action was done for real. Many years ago, a specialty theater in San Francisco used to show silent and other early movies and films one evening almost every week. One time I went, they showed a newsreel film showing the game being played, complete with cars doing full rollovers. I wish I could find and link that entire newsreel to show it.

I suspect the smoking around a couple of those pictures was due to the oil in the engine falling into the cylinders, blowing by the rings and burning. In one case, the oil would continue to burn for about a minute after the car was rolled upright.

As for how long would an engine run that way? Depends a bit on the specific angle it lies? But usually, not for more than maybe fifteen seconds. Usually, somewhere, fuel pickup and/or flow will be stopped because while the fuel is where the air should be? Air is now where the fuel should be. But that is not always the case. The proper angle and enough available fuel in the wrong place could continue to dribble fuel all the way down to the carburetor. The carburetor could not mix the fuel and air properly because things like float valves and carburetor jets would not function properly. However, fuel leaking and dribbling around a carburetor inlet could allow a car to run maybe even until it runs out of fuel. Probably, the excess fuel would be ignited and burn the car up before that (a friend of mine had that happen once). Often, loss of oil flow to the crank-shaft bearings would result in burning out the bearings and either blowing apart or seizing before a fire started.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Top Photo "CNE" refers to Canadian Notional Exhibition which is in Toronto,Ontario,CANADA

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Some great action photos and poor vintage video here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyQ6bQ0-ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

that guy looks like the matador running from the bull !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Forty years ago that would have been fun, now I don't think my old bones could take it! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Wow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration