Torn clincher tire bead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Torn clincher tire bead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

I went out to the garage a couple weeks ago and found the left front tire flat on my '24 touring. I tried pumping it up, but it would not hold air. Then I noticed the bead had come off for about 3-4 inches. So I removed the tire/rim and put on the spare. I finally got around to looking at it yesterday. I found that the tire bead had torn, allowing the tire to slip off the rim a little. The tube was blown out too. I keep around 55-60psi in the tires. I was surprised to see the bead torn like this. It's a Universal 30-3.5 driver tire. The rim doesn't have a sharp edge where the bead tore. Could this just be age? Have any of you had this happen?

tire
rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Can happen if you ever drive on it flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Rubber doesn't last forever.That tire has more than a few years on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

I had that happen to a Universal white sidewall tire a couple of years ago. It was a 30X3-1/2 too. I am still looking for a replacement as the other 3 tires are still fine. As in your case, the rim was not sharp and I run 70 pounds of pressure. I think the fabric cord eventually frays from all the stress and just gives out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Steve

Believe that rim is responsible. The edges are really thin, and tire loading, esp. on a front wheel will throw the clincher bead against that rim edge hard.

Your rim, the right edge side is very thin, may not be sharp, but thin is the same thing to rubber tire. Note the rim has evidence of heavy rust flaking, leaving large scale look in the center, indicates that heavy rust took that rim edge down.

Couple of other rims, had some rust pits, but clincher edge is still quite thick, which makes these clincher edges nicer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Dan has hit the nail on the head. The fabric casing has been cut by that thin edge. The problem with clincher rims is that of degree of rust out. Without the experience of how thick a good rim is, it is easy for a less experienced T owner to think a less than satisfactory one will do the job.

I don't know how we can educate people on this other than through a workshop/video. Learning by experience is not a cheap way to go.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:40 am:

Here are some ideas on repairing sharp edged rims:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/388793.html?1380327193

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Thanks for your input guys. I will look closer at the rim edge tonight but what you say makes sense. The tires may be old too, possible 10 years or longer. I don't have any good spare rims, I'll read through the ideas on repairing them tonight also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:49 am:

And its not only thin edge rims or sharp edges that cause grief.

Once noticed a 1" bulge on the side of my tire, and knew right away what happened.

When choosing that rim a few years ago to mount, it had a bend or dip in the edge. Likely from stone, rock, or curb in its life. But it was so small, and the rest of the rim edge was perfect.

Thought at the time, ah, that little spot will just pinch on the bead and help hold it better.

Wrong thinking! Now only good rims with great edges are used for tire mounting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:21 am:

I had this same thing happen to me on both my rear tires. I tried all the sanding and grinding and everything else I could do to the rims. I made sure air pressure was always correct, I always mounted them dry. After cutting the cord and then pulling the bead off of 4 new tires I got new wheels with new rims. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Steve,

You can repair the thin edge, but you will still have a thin wall beyond the edge, which will reduce the strength of the rim.

Do the right thing and find a better rim.

Also, be careful not to buy a rim that has been driven without a tire. Doing so curls the rim edges in, which doesn't leave enough space for the tire bead to seat. This will pinch the bead and also cause tire damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I'll take a close look at the rim tonight and if it does seem too far gone to be safe, I'll look at alternatives. I see that the major T vendors sell new rims, as does Universal. Does anyone have first hand experience with the repro rims? Are they all from the same source? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Have any of you had recent dealings with American Vintage Rims?
http://www.americanvintagerims.com/

I've emailed and called and left a message about getting a new rim, but have heard nothing back. Are they still in business? I'll go to one of the T vendors if not, but his prices were a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Steve,

They make an excellent product. I have heard however that they can be hard to get a hold of but I've never had a problem. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are the supplier to the vendors.

Try contacting John McLaren, who makes McLaren wire wheels. His son runs American Vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

I haven't had the chance to do much diagnostics on my situation. I cant get my fingers in to even try to feel the rim edge yet. In next day or so I will take it off and demount the the tire and take a closer look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Here is the new tire and rim I got from Snyders. The rim is very nicely made with a thick smooth edge to capture the bead. Should solve my problems

.rim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration