26 removing rear wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 removing rear wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

How much torque should be put on removing a rear wheel on my 26 coupe. The left side came off with little effort. The right will not budge with a 12" wrench. Tried hitting the center bolt in the wheel puller, nothing. The puller is the type that screws on the hub cap fine threads and tightens down on the threads once installed. Any suggestions aside from a 6' pipe on the puller bolt? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Loosen the axle nut, drive around the block turning left each time. Has worked for me a couple of times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Yes you have to hit the puller bolt, not hard, but repeatedly, 20-30 times, then try to turn the bolt some more, then hit some more. Dont put a lot of torque on the bolt, tightening with a 12 in wrench is fine, a pipe extension is not. The wheel will come off with the combination of the bolt pulling it and the rapping vibrating it off. There is a simple wheel puller which is just a large nut with a blind hole that snugs down on the end of the axle and you repeatedly rap it with a hammer, it works well. I have used both but prefer the puller you are using.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Leave the wheel you are removing on the ground, raise the opposite wheel off the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks fellows. I'll try hitting the puller bolt.
John, I tried your suggestion also. I had to wait for my wife to come home so I could use her Lincoln. My chevy truck was loaded with furniture. When I came back, the wheel was just as stuck on. I did have to make one right turn, could that have been the problem? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

leave the nut on loose, install the puller and tighten it. Drive around on it. Less than a block and it should be loose.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

I agree with Norman, I used the same procedure and it was the only way that seemed to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Norm's method worked for me once as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

I've been caught out a couple of times. Wheel should have come off but didn't. Why? Because I'd forgot to let off the handbrake :-)

As has been said above, stubborn cases will respond if you drive around with the nut loose and the wheel puller on. Drive over as many bumps as you can and eventually it lets go. Tighten the nut and drive back home and it will come off real easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Bob, you are too much! If you'd have taken your Chebby, that wheel would have just fallen off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Since I have no roof or interior in the car to drive it just yet, I pulled the left wheel to check the brakes. It came right off and the brakes were like new. I'll tackle the right wheel when I get the car back on the road in the spring. Thanks to all you guys.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration