1919 on Ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1919 on Ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Hello folks,
It has been some time since I have been on the forum. Just can't stop the T itch I guess.

Anyone check out the 1919 on eBay? Anything stands out on it. Interested in it.

Good to be back!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Model-T-Touring-1919-ford-touring-3-door-/1 81644579264?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a4adc51c0&item=181644579264&pt=US_Cars_Tru cks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Looks pretty good to me. I wonder what the reserve is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Search craiglist it a decent car asking 12900 when i went look it over that was firm price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:27 am:

If you couldn't tell with a quick glance, take a good hard look.

It's probably a 1924. Note the high radiator, hood and cowl.

The body is 1924/25 and the motor is 1924 model year. It's been "retrofitted" with a straight windshield and two man top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Well spotted Erik. I noticed the 23 and later front fenders and the tall radiator, but I am not that familiar with US body styles to date the rest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:07 am:

Did model year 1919 have a radiator apron ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 06:19 am:

George: It's just a strip of metal that covers the lower tank on the low radiator Fords 1917-23:

jelf rad
(picture by Steve Jelf)

As Erik wrote, the one for sale is apparently mostly a '24 with an older top. The VIN in the auction, #8,446,xxx is a september 1923 number, well into 1924 model year.

(Message edited by roger k on January 28, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 06:38 am:

Erik nailed it. It appears to be mostly a 1924 model year with the earlier top, earlier front seat top irons, and earlier windshield fitted.

I'm not sure why someone would have gone to the effort to retrofit the earlier top? The windshield is a direct bolt on replacement. Ford liked to make parts interchangeable and either windshield will bolt on using the same bolt holes. But they would have had to add the top irons to the front seat or use a front seat section from a 1921-1922 that did come with the two man top. But they could not just join the front of a 1921-22 touring and make that work because the 1921-22 (as well as the 1923 model year that had the one man top) were all low cowl cars. So the front sheet metal to the cowl would also have to be changed out.

Of course there is always a chance that the original owner of the 1924 touring had something that destroyed the windshield and top. And he saved a lot of money by having the earlier style windshield, top, and front seat top iron fitted from the junk yard rather than the later style that came on the body. But I would guess a restorer wanted the car to look older is why the change was made.

It looks like it would be a fun driving T and 99% of the folks in the world would never know it didn't come that way (after all it is black and old so it must be a Model T and they were all the same.) And if it runs and drives nice and the price was right it could be a lot of fun.

It could be made into a very correct 1924 -- by replacing the earlier parts (top, windshield, remove front top irons from front seat, remover alternator, correct upholstery, possibly remove the metal covers on the rear sills Id have to check if those were or were not on a 1924 using the engine for the ballpark date, etc.) or drive it as is and enjoy it.

George - no, the apron under the radiator was introduced when the lip on the front fenders were introduced. That was the 1924 model year on the high cowl cars.

Allan those fenders with the lip and the radiator apron appeared during 1923 Calendar year but would have been a 1924 Model year (or 1925 also had that style).

The body has the 3 piece rear tub introduced with the 1921 model year rather than the earlier 1915-1920 style 5 piece rear tub (some overlap when both styles of bodies would have been used depending on where assembled etc.).

Note the photo of the rear arm section in the E-bay listing. It clearly shows the 1921-25 style narrow rear arm rest cover but the upholstery has been installed to make it look wider -- which the 1915-1920 cars had the wider arm rests -- or to make it more comfortable.

And the other items such as the pressed steel running board brackets are also not 1919 but later and fit great with the 1924 model year touring.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Rear body and top rests are definitely later and the arm rest are also later. Cannot see clearly the switch panel but most 19s had a cast lever and of course a dash that came nowhere close to the steering col.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:52 am:

It's a nice looking car, but if that's what's really considered "excellent"-which is considered a "Grade 1" in Old Cars Report Price Guide, then I guess that makes my '15 "priceless". Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on the Model T Holmes detective agency!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Wow, You guys could pick the sex of a barn fly a 100 years away!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration