What size screw is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What size screw is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:32 am:

I lost one of the screws that hold the wires in the headlight sockets. 4-40 is too small and 6-32 is way too big. I'm guessing 5-32. Is that right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:02 am:

I was just looking for screws similar but my thread indicator list # 5 as a 40 tpi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:08 am:

#4 OD = 0.112
#5 OD = 0.125
#6 OD = 0.138

OD's are valid for all threads in each size. What does the screw mike out to?

If you think it's 32 tpi, use a #6 -32 as a thread gauge if you don't have one.

Standard #5 thread sizes are 40 and 44.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Thanks for the info, RV !

I've got an old electric horn (non-T) that uses three #5 x 3/16" long screws to hold the back cover on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Steve, 5-40 screws are hard to find. If you need a few, I have a whole box. I can send you a few in an envelope with just one stamp. Free to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Sure Dennis - if you meant that offer for me - Steve T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Dennis: I was going to tell Steve that those screws are non existent, impossible to find and he would have to give me the headlight, since I had the screw to repair it with. And since he was so careless, and lost that very rare screw, I could not trust him with my rare screw. Then you say you have a box of them .... Dang it, foiled again :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:37 am:

McMaster has 5-40 round head slotted brass screws in lengths from 1/4" to 1-1/2". Problem of course is that you have to buy 100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:47 am:

When push came to shove I ordered a bulb socket and stole the screw out of it . To get me to the ice cream shop I stuck it in with no screw and took a bread twisty and wired it to the other wire.
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:11 am:

The Factory drawing for T-6587 Headlight Thimble calls for a #4-36 screw.

T-6587

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Correction, T-6587 Headlight Plug.

t-6587

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Excellent! Thanks. :-)
The next step is dealing with all those lame websites with a search feature that brings up hundreds or thousands of irrelevant items. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

(Message edited by touringtom on January 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Steve, the #4-36 does not appear to be a standard size at this time. However, http://www.brasseurelectrictrains.com/service/screws/screws.asp does have them in several lengths. They seem to be useful in repairing old electric trains.

(Message edited by touringtom on January 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Not to muddy the water but if that is a reproduced thimble (looks like it is) the threads may not be what is on the Ford print. They could even be metric threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

OK, I went out to the shop and pulled one of the screws out of a repop thimble. It is hard to judge small short threads but a 36 tpi gauge seems to match the screw. Since I am in the process of cleaning the shop I cannot find a dial caliper to measure the diameter of the screw. (If I had not cleaned up it would be sitting on top of the surface plate)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:54 am:

My 1920 edition of American Machinists Handbook lists 5-36 as an ASME thread. I suspect it was common in it's day, just like the 14-24 used on the bendix cover and the brass screws on the flywheel magnet spools.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration