Question about a jump starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about a jump starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:45 am:

While on tours, I see quite a few owners loading an independent, portable, battery type jump starter into their car for the days ride.

My wife gave me one as a present (it also has an air compressor) and my question is: since it is a 12v unit, am I safe jump starting my model T's which all operate on 6 volts with the new gift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Might be a problem for the bendix spring if the battery is that dead I would just use as a hot shot and hand crank the car. as for the coils and such 12 volts isn't going to hurt them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Fortunately a Model T's comes equipped with a back up starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 11:23 am:

My stock 1915 only has one starter! But then I did get a "pull start" once so I guess that sorta counts doesn't it...

It starts easily with the Stromberg OF on there and I like the look I get from folks when I hand crank it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

I'm sure there are plenty who can point out the dangers, but I've done it several times and I've seen it done many more times than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

If you have stock ignition or a high tension mag then a dead battery shouldn't really be a big deal. For me it'd only mean that I couldn't run my head or tail lights. If you have a dizzy it's a problem though.

Agree that using it as a hotshot shouldn't be a problem. If you have electric headlights or other gizmos that are 6 volts you might want to disconnect them or make sure they are off first.

You folks with starters are spoiled rotten I tell you! =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Seth? don't you have a starter for yours they are usually pleasant to look at and are anywhere between 5' to 5'8" or so very dependable :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

btw Haven't seen Christine lately about time for her to make an appearance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

LOL G.R. I have a throttle and kill switch operator. Her lack of coordination means it's less frustrating for both of us if I just crank the car and she fidgets with the controls. Eliza (my speedster) is pretty well behaved though, it's rare she doesn't just fire right up on the first crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Hey Will- the model T came with a built in compressor, too, but it seems there is a spark plug in each hole. :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

You can use them for running a cig. lighter plug stuff. IPod phone recharging, air compressor Where the heck am I? electronic gps. And if your 6 volt battery pukes, you can disconnect your 6 volt and use it to buzz the coils to hand crank it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

I have a 12 volt battery in my 19 for starting and the stoplights
It does not have a starter.
One of those battery packs would be good because of its size but I have 3 12 volt batteries in the garage to use
And I am too cheap to not use what I have

The 26 motor will not have a starter when I swap it because I like to be cranky.
I think that using the crank is one of the biggest fun things about the T
It gives me an opportunity to "show off" and enter into conversations with people.
One question that I get is how many time have you broken your arm?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration