Old Photo - Posing At The Continental Divide 1923

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Posing At The Continental Divide 1923
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Same spot now per Wikipedia

Same spot now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Rabbit Ears Pass: taken by Don and Linda Dupree, on last years Leaf Peeper Tour.

rabbit ears pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:18 am:

rabbit ears pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Jays photo is of MacDonald Pass. It's 4 lane now but still follows the same route. It's about 15 miles west of my house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:06 am:

Ken Huson in his 21 Center Door on Cameron Pass about 50 miles West of Fort Collins on a Leaf Peeper Tour!

Cameron Pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:20 am:

Rabbit Ears Pass on last years Leaf Peeper Tour. Various cars on the tour at the start of the down hill to Steam Boat Springs. The State has built several run away ramps for vehicles that have burned up their brakes.

Steep Grades

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:40 am:

Two Miles above sea level sign on Trail Ridge,
HALF WAY TO THE TOP, at 10,560 feet.

two miles above

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:42 am:

State Sign on 287 between Colorado and Wyoming, at Virginia Dale Pass.

Virginia Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:56 am:

Virginia Dale Pass.

Virginia Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:25 am:

The continental divide is in Alaska, NWT, BC, Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Sonora, Chihuahua, etc., etc. Here's MacDonald Pass today. There's no street view of Mullan Pass. I guess I'll have to drive a T to both passes and see which one matches Jay's picture. :-)

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on January 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 11:36 am:

I have driv over Mac Donald pass many times in my T's. Most T's, even Montana 500 T's use low pedal going up. Of course they make up for it going down the other side. I believe Jay's picture is Mullan pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Tom - Did you ever stop to eat at Frontier Town while traversing Mac Donald Pass? I think I heard that it's long gone now, but it was sure a neat place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

I should have said that the most memorable thing about Frontier Town to me was the "walk-in" stone fireplace!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

I have a picture somewhere around here with my sister (from Helena), my nephews and myself "cozied up" to the saddle seats in the bar - good times !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Harold, I never made it to Frontier Town when it was open. Pity. I guess I thought it would last forever. It is now some dude's private residence.

Rich Armstrong was sponsored certain years by Frontier Town in the Montana 500. Here is a picture of Rich from the 1972 Montana 500 copied from the Miles City newspaper.

rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

There's a road in/near Yellowstone Park that crosses the CD many times as you drive in one direction. I seem to recall passing 4-5 signs stating each crossing. Is there some law that says the CD must be identified when a road crosses it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

What used to be Frontier Town is now owned by a local contractor named Jeff Battershell. He has probably spent a quarter of a million dollars stabilizing the buildings and trying to upgrade the roofs to keep water out of the main lodge/house. It was built in the 1940's of log and stone by John Quigley, who ran it into the mid 80's. His daughter tried to keep it going, eventually had an auction to sell off a few of the collectibles and spent the money trying to keep the buildings from sliding down the mountain. It was bought by a huckster from Washington who ran the business into the ground, had an auction and sold a lot of the best items, then sold the property to some guy who used it for a warehouse for his used clothing business. It was so far out of code it couldn't be reopened as a business so Jeff bought it and has preserved and upgraded it so that it is stable. It's too big for a house, they just live in the original living quarters and maintain the rest of it for the future, whatever that may hold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

I think the main clue is the altitude of 5981 ft above sea level.
One of the lower passes in Colorado, Utah or even New Mexico. I wonder if Google can help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

It is either Priest, Mac Donald or Mullan pass in Montana, most likely (based on elevation) Mullan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

I think the main clue is the altitude of 5981 feet above the sea level.
It could be one of the lower passes in Colorado, or a nominal pass in Utah or New Mexico. I wonder if Google can help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

No, it is either Priest, Mac Donald or Mullan pass in Montana, most likely (based on elevation) Mullan.

Powell and Lewis & Clarke counties are in Montana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

I checked Google and it list Eagle mountain, which seems to be a peak and Trinidad, which I think is a town in New Mexico. I think the freeway goes thru the town when we went onto one of the tours in Colorado.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

I missed the counties, I agree somewhere in Montana.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

The Taylor Pass is listed at 5910 feet at the junction of the two counties and hwy 200. Seems like200 has been renamed by various major roads and freeways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Rogers pass is on Highway 200 (formerly Highway 20), but it is not close enough to Helena. It looks to me like the sign says "Helena 15 miles".

I still believe that it is Mullan pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Indeed Mullan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullan_Pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

46.636333, -112.308333 in Google maps shows the divide, about 15 miles distance from Helena. Matching the sign in Jays pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Can someone give a location of Frontier Town on Google Earth. I went across US 12 on my one and only trip way west in my 1969 Freightliner with a hopped up 250 Cummins and 43000# of newprint. Rapid City, Casper, Billings, Great Fall, Spokane and the rest on the west coast. It was 1990 I believe. Was Frontier Town open then?
Also, I looked at Google Earth MacDonald Pass and it looks like there is a shooting range off on the east side of US 12. Is that what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Fred, google 4634'9.06"N 11218'24.30"W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks Tom
Now I see why I didn't see it. You have to get off US 12.
I still remember going up and seeing a fellow coming down with a ratty ole late '50's Dodge single axle gas job with a tandem trailer loaded with logs. It was in grandma gear and had the muffler blown off long before. It was poppin' and crackin' and backfiring something fierce. The driver was hanging out the door smoking a cigarette. It was probably an every day trip for him. Heck, I wouldn't have driven the truck to town for coffee............but then, I was driving a '69 Freighliner that a lot of folks wouldn't drive to town for coffee. Still got it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration