Where do you mount the tail light?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Where do you mount the tail light?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Collin Johnson on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Ok, I am a novice...I admit. I have the tail light bracket, and tail light (not the correct one for a '17 T, but a later electric model), but I don't know where it mounts.

I thought it mounted to the frame, but that isn't wide enough, or the underside of the body...but again, there is not a place wide enough to mount it there.

If you could tell me "The tail light is mounted "X" inches from the "X" on the drivers side" that would help...

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

It is probably not that simple, as I believe there were quite a few different brackets. The one on our '18 Touring mounts to the wooden subframe of the body left of center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Collin would you post a picture of what you have? Would be easier for folks to tell and/or show you where and how they mounted theirs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Collin Johnson on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I can post a pic, but it will be tonight. It is a standard 15-22 Touring bracket, like Snyder's part #T 3660-C. The car is a '17 (ok, '18... since engine date: 30 Aug '17)touring.

Hal: that's where I thought it mounted, but the square carriage bolt holes and relatively small area on the wood subframe got me wondering if it mounted to the frame or ... ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

There should be a place on the bottom left corner where that bracket bolts to. Don't be supprised if there is also one on the right corner,as they were for Rh drive cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

The easiest thing to do is this: If you have the original oil tail light, you can buy from the vendors an electric conversion socket for it. That way the light looks original and will also work electrically. You can even get one with a two filament bulb, one for a stop light and the other for a tail light.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Collin Johnson on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

The car has been rebuilt, so nothing is where it was in the first place...no marks in the wood subframe or metal frame work. I will need to locate where to mount it using easily recognizable points.
Norm: not a bad idea, but I have the later tail light, and don't have the $$ to spend for an oil light and kit.

thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Collin,
I have what Norm is talking about and am glad I invested in it. My tail light is mounted on the drivers side rear fender

Pictures of the back end of your car would help immensely with suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Collin,

No, it doesn't mount to the frame. It goes on the body. Or at least mine does. But it is one for the original oil lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

The tail light bracket will mount to the body. The electric light and the oil lights fit the bracket in the same way. They both have a single bolt for mounting, and two raised detents on the light that fit two dimples in the bracket. You just need someone to post a good pic of the bottom of the body where their light is mounted. I do not have one to take myself..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 11:14 am:

I'm assuming you have a '17. But is it a touring or a roadster??? Different mountings and brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

From the 4th post in this thread:

"The car is a '17 (ok, '18... since engine date: 30 Aug '17)touring."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Collin Johnson on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

I am still trying to figure out how taking pics with my phone & posting them to the site. Yes, it is a touring, and the bracket is the standard one with the license plate mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Some of the bodies had square holes stamped through the sheet metal,which is where that bracket mounts. Have you looked ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Collin Johnson on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Thanks Jack! Yes, I have looked, but I imagine it was covered, "rapaired" or replaced by my dad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration