I built a nice set of "bookends" for the speedster project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I built a nice set of "bookends" for the speedster project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Well not really, but that's what they look like :-) I finally have the floor board risers finished for the speedster project. It took the better part of two days to build these "aggravating" things. The biggest problem was figuring out what to do with the front body mounts. That is what the little plate with the nut welded to it is for. The body bolt will come up from the bottom side and screw into the plate nut. It is recessed and notched under the riser, so I can remove it later, if for some reason the threads get messed up, and I need to fix them.

risers 1

risers 2

risers 3

risers 4

risers 5

risers 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

What does your outside body tin look like on the opposite side of these board risers ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Here are a few pics of when I first bought the body last year (third picture), and also a couple pictures of mock ups. The pic with the "Disteel" wheels is way higher than it will be. Im waiting on the gas tank Im having custom made, that is about the size of the oil drum I used in the mock up. Then I can finish the deck wood. I did not post any body pics this time, because I thought everyone had seen it by now and would be getting sick of my "speedster project" by now :-) :-) Im leaving it in a "patina" finish, as much as I can...

body mock up wheels

body mock up 3

body as found

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Really nice workmanship!
Looks like this will be a great speedster when it's finished. You've come a long way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:26 am:

What the plans for a seat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Seth: The seat frame is 2 inches high. It is basically a 2 X 3 laid flat to form the seat riser. On top of that will be a 3/4 inch wood frame, for the bottom cushion upholstery to tack to. It can be either a piece of plywood or I may make a 3/4 inch thick "panel" frame out of white oak stock to use instead of plywood. The cushion/padding will be 5 inches thick in the front and 3 inches thick at the rear. I will probably just use high density foam for the cushion. But I may try to use springs and horse hair. ???? Then Ill cover that with some old leather. I am leaning toward black or a oxblood red color for the upholstery. The rear back rest will have springs and be upholstered similar to how a regular T backrest is done. You can see the remains of the original "tack strips" in the body, in the pics above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Seth, here is a pic of the seat frame. The three wood strips will go on the bottom of the three floor boards in front of the seat frame and the long strip is also the support for the battery box that will be under the driver side of the seat frame. Ill be sitting almost on the floor . ...

sear frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 11:13 am:

That's basically how mine is. I have the same little raised area around the outside underneath the seat. The seat itself is removable and makes for convenient storage of some small tools, hat/gloves, and I keep my registration/insurance in a ziplock under there.

I don't know if you've sat in it much yet but I can tell you: moving the handbrake lever outside the body is one of the best things I ever did. Knowing what I do now I would say it's absolutely necessary if you intend to do any driving more than a few miles. It's just way more comfortable to put my left leg against the body instead of snaking it in between the lever and the steering column when I'm in high gear. If you're riding solo then you can sit more in the center and it's not as big of a deal. Just something you might want to sit down and look at before you get your woodwork too finalized. I made a block to fit down in the hole left so that if I dropped my keys or someone dropped a phone it couldn't escape that way. You can still make a solid piece without a hole if you choose to move the brake lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Seth, Im planning on moving the hand brake. I have it figured out how to do it, and still look period correct. I have sat in it during my "mock ups" It is almost impossible get in a comfortable position, and the handbrake is in the way of my big foot. Bending it over to just clear the body side panel would help, but not enough for my liking. So the handbrake is going outside. My battery box is going to be on the driver side hole and Im going to build another box for the passenger side. It will be 6 inches deep. Its bottom, will be level with the bottom of the frame. So with the seat riser Ill have a "tool box" about 7 inches deep.. I also have my "glove box/coil box", with its "custom" running board script lid. It is another small storage place. As to the handbrake notch. Im also going to a put it in the floor board. I feel like it would have been there in the aftermarket body. Ill have to make a special trim plate for it. When I install the trim plate Ill put a piece of old leather under it to cover the hole ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Seth & Donnie - FWIW, I put hinged doors with magnetic cabinet latches on the front of my seat risers to create small storage compartments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Dave: Nice... I like it ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration