Milwaukee Timing System Model No.400

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Milwaukee Timing System Model No.400
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I recently acquired some Model T parts, in one of the boxes I opened up was a Milwaukee Timing System Model No.400 for 1926 Fords.

Anyone ever seen one of these in person or better yet, in use? The internals look good enough to still work, yet there are some stress cracks on the casting material from age.

There are two rods that are with it, but it seems as if there should have been a gear included that went in place of the original ford roller, other than the gear that is already on the timing system itself, if I am making any sense.

I would really love to know some history about this timing system as I can't find anything on the internet other than the regular Milwaukee timers that are a dime a dozen.

Anyone know what it's dollar worth is? Heck, if anyone is interested in it for collection or possible use, let me know, I might just take best offer on this part. Maybe start a thread up here on the classifieds section...?

Milwaukee Timing System Model No.400 for 1926 Fords

Model No.400 Cap

Model No.400 Internals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Hello Nick,

Welcome to the forum. Neat accessory. I have seen some other similar "remote" systems posted on here like this: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/426711.html?1394063760

Jay might be the best bet for filling in the blanks on this timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I will send Jay a message later if he doesn't see or responds to this posting today.

On another note, I acquired so many boxes of T parts, it will be days to sort out this stuff! It's definitely a fun learning experience...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Nick - Nice collector's piece, but FWIW, by the looks of the cracks in the cast housing, the timer may well be pot metal, which tends to expand and deteriorate over time. I had similar (but smaller) minor cracks in a period-correct pot metal Delco distributor housing that my grandfather and father had run on my speedster until 1979. When I put it back together last year, I installed the distributor, and it ran well - until the first time I took it out of the driveway! The added stress of driving the car caused the housing to break into several pieces. I replaced it with a Texas T dizzy, and all is well now. Just saying, that if it were mine, I would not install it on my car due to the condition of the metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Nick - Interesting accessory for sure! Many different mfgrs of "timer elevators" but this one is unique in that it's NOT anything like the Ford timer or all the other accessory timers.

Considering the numerous cracks in the pot metal, I also notice the terrible mis-alignment of the points! Wonder if this is just simply because of the typical swelling and distortion of the pot metal? Again,.....interesting,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Dave,

It is pot metal indeed. You are right, it could very well crack to pieces just like the one on your speedster.

So a collectors piece it seems to be destined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Harold,

Yep, the points are not aligned but do make contact. I think the spring steel sections can be adjusted at the mounting section but I have not tinkered with this thing other than taking the cap off for a picture.

The pot metal is also distorted at the post where the bracket mounting location is, the part that holds the cap on. ..still holds the cap in place tight but not directly in the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

I recently sold a part of one of these on eBay. It was the orange timer part of the unit. I had no idea what it was from... until now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Jerry,

Really? How long ago did you sell that item? The same person who bought your part from eBay has offered to buy the timer from me. I am considering his offer, as I have enough stuff laying around here and I'm not so much as a collector. (although it does look like I am hoarding Model T parts right now... I can't use my shop because of the Model T parts I have everywhere block my workspace!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Nick,

Here it is. Sold Dec. 6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accessory-After-Market-Model-T-Timer-/390989713155?pt=Vi ntage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b08cd8f03&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=L3pD85 %252B8x7bfwNWlTp2YuOapkwU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I am "following you. ...on eBay anyway. haha Thanks Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/416766.html?1419360777

Milwaukee , Model T Accessory, Timing System

"'Wipe and break' principle"... that doesn't sound all that fun. All jokes aside, I found the Advertisement... right here on the forums. (of course!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 07:49 am:

Here is mine. Seems to be in usable condition.
Lesmilwaukee timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 09:05 am:

The fiber washer needs to be under the spring of the points and then the points will be in alignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Nice! So that is the missing gear that I see pictured. Les, Do you have the rods that came with it?

Can you believe I had the original box for it but it was accidentally thrown away by my neighbor who was helping me sort parts.?!. I didn't realize it 'till about a week later when I went to put it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Nick, The timer is all I have. Les

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration