Logging in question ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Logging in question ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:14 am:

How come everytime I post or reply, I have to log
in again. I see no "remember me" box? My son
never has to log in here every time on his PC.
Or is it my piece of junk? Nother words If I
reply say three times (right now) each reply I
gotta log in???????????????
sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Sam, when I log in, a little box pops up towards the upper left of the screen asking if I want the computer to remember my password...frankly I tell it "no". Don't want anything remembering any of my passwords ever. I use stupid windows 8, don't know if that's why I get this little pop up or not. I suspect you aren't getting that option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 04:22 am:

No Tim I don't see the box. I have to log in for
every reply??? while initially logged in???
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 07:27 am:

If by "Log in", you mean you have to enter your username and password below the "Add a Message" box each time you post, yeah, I have to do that too. I don't on my phone, but I do on my home computer and my work computer. I do occasionally get a message that asks if I want Windows to remember my password. I have told it "Yes" before, but it doesn't, so I don't bother answering it anymore. This has come up before and it seems like some do and some don't. If it is a setting, I can't find it. I just enter my username and password. They are both short. Not a big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 08:39 am:

i put up with that for about a year then it fixed it self.been ok eversene.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 08:44 am:

From what it sounds like Sam, you and I are in the same boat of having to sign in each time to post. Guess we just have to do it. I'm like Hal, my log-in words are short and I can actually remember 'em!! And like I mentioned earlier, I really don't like any log in info stored, I figure what's stored in, can be hacked out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:17 am:

No problem here. User name and password (dots) are already there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Before I post, I have to type the first letter of my user name. That makes the whole user name appear. When I click on that, the user name and the password are automatically filled in. I have no clue how this works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

After years of experience with computers I am convinced that there is a little man in the box that has all the wires going to it.
Some days he is friendly, other days he is mad, and there are times his is mischievous.
I think the little guy and the T talk because some days it works great, some days it seems to hate me, and other times I think it is laughing at me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

In part, it is this website. Other sites you must sign in before you even get a box to write any sort of comment in. Personally, I prefer this one. If I am reading along, and I decide that I want to make a comment? Everything is right here. My computer is set up to give me a reminder of my "username", so two clicks and done. I chose not to have my password done automatically because it is a recommended security procedure. So I do have to type it out, no big deal.
That leads us to the other "in part" it is your computer and/or program choices. MOST programs for the past ten years or so give you a few choices for such things as "autofill" or other reminders. SOMEWHERE in all that computer gobbletygook are places where you can tell your computer whether to do that for you or not. I prefer a limited use of things like autofill for several reasons, security and otherwise. My system asks often if I want to use them, I either ignore the question or tell it "no".
Another little fly in the ointment, is that many systems and programs get "automatic updates", mostly whether they are things you want or not. Sometimes, those automatic updates will change your choices that you have made. This is one of the things I hate (and I do mean that word) about "computer people". What good are my security choices when they just send an automatic update from say my security program (supposedly designed to update my computer to protect it from new threats) and in the process change my security choices leaving my computer vulnerable to some other security breach? It has happened too many times.
This "computer people" game of hide and seek is one of the big reasons why some days your computer may treat you nicely, and other days it just won't cooperate. Between Adblock, Yahoo, Google Chrome, and about three others, I notice about two or three automatic updates or other changes per week. I have no idea how many I get that I do not notice. And a lot of people do get these updates but do not know it.

(Am I beginning to sound paranoid?)
(NO?)
(I was already that way?)
(I thought so.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I just removed AVG from my computer because AVG Secure Search took over my home page. Probably due to some tiny little box we did not UN-check when we updated the virus software. I could go into internet tools and change my home page back to Google, but AVG Secure Search would magically re-appear the next day. I don't know that I am rid of it. Time will tell.

The automatic changing of security settings is one of the main reasons I no longer Facebook. Seems every time I turned around, Facebook would change my security settings to what THEY wanted them to be. Somehow, even a map of places I had supposedly been showed up on my page. One of the few places marked was my old elementary school. I think it got there from someone else who tagged me in a class photo from 5th grade, but I didn't care for there to be a map of places I had been shown on the internet. I don't need for people to know where I have been and I sure as hell don't need a map that makes it look like I hang out in front of elementary schools like pedophile or something. I haven't been to that school since I was a kid. Why does Facebook identify it as a place I have been? I could not even remove the map. I have no idea how the map got on there or how it was decided what places were marked. For all I know, someone could have put Georgia State Prison on the damned thing and what could I have done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 07:26 am:

What's Facebook? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Don't assume that the folks at FB know what they're doing.

Sometimes I find it amazing that anything works at all.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Unfortunately no one ever seems to state their operating system when they pose a computer question.

Assuming the login problems are on a Windows system, I can tell you from 32 years of experience working with Windows in a professional capacity that they have NEVER supplied a browser (internet explorer) that will consistently remember a login name or password. So give it up - it ain't gonna happen.

Internet explorer is only one of hundreds of browsers that are available for you to use to access web pages. Most are better than Internet Explorer by any measurement.

I strongly suggest you install Pale Moon which is a version of Firefox compiled especially for the Windows operating system. It's faster, safer, and ALWAYS remembers you login and password. Unfortunately it is no longer compatible with Windows XP so if your using XP your outta luck. (Try Firefox or get a windows 7 machine or wait for Windows 10 to come out this summer - those of you using Windows 8 get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out).

As for password protection, passwords are encrypted on Pale Moon - almost impossible for anyone to "get into" you machine and steal them. I've been using the net since it was first available (bbs's before that) and no one has ever stolen a password. Passwords are mostly "stolen" by hackers who are able to "guess" your password and usually because someone has used a password like "password" or their name or "admin".

Don't do it!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration