OT - A Thought About This Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - A Thought About This Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

I'd like to preface my thought/suggestion by saying that in no way should it be construed as a negative of any kind. I think this forum is GREAT and enjoy it tremendously.

From time to time a thread will appear here that precipitates a whole lot of discussion. Occasionally the thread will become so long a new thread will be started just to save scrolling time.

If the software permits, why not reverse the order of individual post appearance? Instead of the original post on top with subsequent posts under it, why not have the original post at the bottom with the new posts appearing at the top? This way folks interested in a certain topic will see the new entries first, avoiding the need to scroll through what they've already read. Of course, you'd still need to scroll down to where you left off last, but it would, I think, be easier.

Certainly not a big deal, just a thought that occurred to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

I like your idea of putting new posts on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

The arrows on the upper left corner (by the original posters name) will take you to the end of the posting if you click on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

has that allways been there????????????charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

As long as I've been on the forum they have been there and I've been here about 11 or 12 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

So THAT's what those things are for!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Duh. Well OK! Never thought to try them to see what they were for. Henry's idea may still have some purpose if it would work with threads with a ton of photos. Esp. for those with dial-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

I'm a chronological reader of western sensibilities, meaning I read from left to right, from top to bottom. That's just my preference because I've done it that way all my life.

If you'd like to see the last post first, hit the "END" button (to the left of the number pad on your keyboard).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I agree with Bob, left to right, top to bottom works best for me. Often on a long thread I scroll down to the most recent post, but if I'm interested I still go back and read chronologically to see how the thread developed.

I certainly can see advantages both ways......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

I have never noticed those arrows in almost 5 years of Forum reading. Now I cannot avoid looking at them.

This is a great feature for photo heavy threads.

Thanks, Dennis!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Or use the "Last Day" or "Last Week" icons at the top and bottom of each thread. That's what I always do when reading the forum, and I never need to scroll through long threads unless I want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

BTW, in case anyone is asking, I like the threads to read chronologically from top to bottom, as they now are. (I can't believe spell check didn't get upset with "chronologically." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Son of a gun. I never paid any attention at all to the arrows. Thanks Dennis! And thanks to all who posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

It's amazing to learn something new! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

By gum not to old to learn something new very day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Now that's funny!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

The first time I set up a new year the posts were most recent on top as you mentioned. Everyone went crazy so I found the setting and made it like all the other years.

Personally I think our brains work left to right top to bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Now if we could just teach Dave Huson to post pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 04:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

if steve can post pictures Dave should be able to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:26 am:

The END key at the right side of the keyboard is there for a reason.
No need to scroll anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 07:00 am:

for me problem is, you have to scroll all the way
to the bottom to find what the persons talking
about. Kind of like getting the answer before
the question-aint it.???????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Try clicking the "New Messages" and see what you get.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration