OT - What does it mean?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - What does it mean?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

I keep seeing OT in the title of several threads. If it means Off Topic, why would anyone start a topic this way? I'm confused...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

To warn folks that it may not pertain to what they may want to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

It is a civil way of asking a question about something other than model T's.Those not interested,need not read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

Some even get PO'd if you don't warn them it's not Model T related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

On top of the 2014 forum it says OT posts are allowed but should be hobby related.

Most of them are - and very interesting in general, just like the on topic posts. The main problem is the time it takes to read them all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 30, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Rod, there were some forum participants in the past who complained - strongly and often - if anyone posted anything on the forum that was not directly related to Model T Fords. Others saw it as a collection of Model T owners and enthusiasts who happen to be very knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects, and often interesting as well.

I got started with online forums in 1992, back in the days of CompuServe, and was active on five or six forums there. I learned the "OT" convention to warn people that a subject was not on the topic of the forum so that those not interested didn't spend any time looking at it. I'm not sure that I was the one who introduced it here, but I think I may well have been. I was used to it and I had seen it work on CompuServe. When people began complaining about off-topic posts here, I suggested it and it has been used since.

I do continue to get a kick out of people who read a thread very clearly marked "OT" and then pi... whine and moan about its being off-topic. Duh!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Off topic witch means not realy t post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 03:54 am:

Off topic witch.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on January 31, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Reminds me of this....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I was confused the first time I saw a thread listed as OT.
In my lingo it stands for OverTime, like in working extra hours for extra pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:54 am:

How can you work extra hours, there really are only 24 in each day, what is this over time of which you speak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I like all "caps." Makes it easy on my old eyes, but I soon found out that in forum speak it's considering yelling and rude. Sad to me that a bunch of "13 year old girls" who made up all the forum protocol bull and abbreviations, etc dictate to the rest of us how to communicate on a forum, any forum.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS YELLING.

I thought this is yelling!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Joe, in fact, since we learned to read with upper and lower case letters (remember Dick and Jane?), we read faster that way than we do in all caps. I seem to recall an illustration of that where the reader was shown two different paragraphs and reading the traditional one was easier than the all caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sellers on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Dick, Interesting.

...but so is this; (Just to add to the OT.

A Cambridge university study... shwos taht it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Yep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Nick, Very interesting! So mcuh for unisg a splel chkecer berofre ptsoing:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Some people are born "all business".
They have the capability to suck the fun out of The Three Stooges........ :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:29 am:

"How can you work extra hours, there really are only 24 in each day, what is this over time of which you speak?"

AFAIK, standard work day is 8 hours, if you work more than that, you're into OT. If you're working for yourself or somebody else, whether you get paid or not is irrelevant, after 8 hours it's still OT.

Talk slow, think fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:43 am:

"Dad, what's 'Nitrate?"

"Time and an'arf, son!"

I'm sure Ozzie and Brit readers will understand the joke, not sure if it works for US readers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 06:44 am:

And we can thank H.F. for the 8 hour day that way he could run his assembly line 24hrs a day B4 H.F. a normal work week was 9 hours a day Monday - Friday and 6 hours on Saturday in most retail / service shops there is your model "T" connection so are we back On Topic? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Maybe we need an OT forum? Just wondering?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration