Manifold, Tell Me About It.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Manifold, Tell Me About It.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Anyone have experience with this Anderson manifold? What's it's claim to fame? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

I have one on my old rusty truck. It runs fine. The idea was to warm the intake manifold to vaporize the fuel better. You may have noticed that the elbow just after the carb gets very cold and even frosts a little from the air fuel mixture passing through the carb venturi. Warming the manifold helps vaporize the fuel. Modern cars with carbs had an exhaust passage in the intake manifold that passed under the carb base to warm the carb and manifold and help mixture vaporization. Raw or liquid fuel does not burn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

It's one of many 'HOT SPOT" combination manifold made back in the day to help vaporize the poor fuels of the day. Even after fuels got better cars and trucks came from the factory with some sort of manifold heater ether in direct contact with the exhaust manifold or hot water or like my 91 Dodge pickup direct from the exhaust manifold with a temp. controlled shut off valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFxwJ8mIDtA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

My "OPINION" for what it's worth:

Several companies made these combination manifolds and I believe ANCO (Anderson) and Wilmo are the most common. As Jeff Hood said, the main reason was because of the poor fuel back during some period of the Model T era. I have read that some of that fuel at one point approached nearly 40% kerosene. I believe they were successful for that purpose, however, there are other reasons that these combination manifolds were (and still are) a nice accessory.

A common problem with the stock Model "T" exhaust manifold is that there are prone to warping. Because the combination manifold is such a large casting, and because the intake passages which contain the flow of the cool air/fuel mixture, the slight cooling effect of the whole casting practically eliminates any warpage, which to me, that in itself is a huge advantage.

I have a Wilmo on my "Steve's "T" Works rebuilt engine in the '27 depot hack and it runs great! There are those who claim that performance will suffer a bit due to the fact that the slightly warmer air/fuel mixture is not as dense as the cooler mixture that passes thru' the stock separate Model "T" intake manifold, and this does make sense, however, my engine runs great and pulls hard uphill so I have no complaints. Also, for what it's worth, I recall Royce Peterson stating that he runs an ANCO combination manifold on one of his "T's and he is also very pleased with the result.

One other thing Pat, there has always been the argument about whether or not to run the stock Ford factory heat stove, and I believe the combination manifold completely eliminates any possibility of the need for the stock heat stove pipe. And another good thing, the elimination of the heat stove makes it possible to run an accessory air cleaner, which I believe is an excellent idea. For what it's worth,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

I run three of these on three different cars and am very pleased with the way they run. Good power and never an icing problem even at 30 degrees. I have never seen one that is warped in the exhaust manifold area. I like the way they work and like the way they look under the hood. If the one pictured is yours, put it on your car and run it. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Thanks for the replies and info. I went ahead and bought it. I'll get it put on in a week or so along with my Simmons carb. I guess I'll have to install head rests to protect my neck from whiplash also. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Pat, there were about 5 or 6 different brands of combo/manifolds for sale on e-bay at the same time as this one. I had this one and all the others in "watching" I like the looks of the ANCO better than the rest. Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Of the lot, this one I think is the best. There a a couple of others that I had been watching but with todays fuels they may have too much heat exchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Here is an Anco we restored and were planning to put on my son's speedster before he chose a different set up. It might be for sale. Soaked the whole manifold in EvapoRust before applying the POR-15 paint to it. It should last a long, long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Leonhardt on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Wanting to operate my '26 TT with filtered combustible air (air cleaner) and no manifold stove pipe heater resulted in icing conditions. Continuous adjustment to carburetor mixture control was the norm in the daily operation of my TT. After installing the ANCO evenheat manifold, it solved the problem at bay -- it was a win win situation (filtered combustible air and no icing conditions).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Chris, that is one fancy manifold. Nice work. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration