Camshaft gear choice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Camshaft gear choice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Found a fiber camshaft gear in the engine I'm working on. It needs to go away. There's quite a difference in the price of an aluminum and bronze gear. So which would you choose and why? The engine is '27 and it does have a generator, of course. Is the price difference in the bronze gear justified over the aluminum one due to less problems with wear, overall service, reliability, or what? No, I'm not interested in going with nylon as my hearing is lousy anyways. But I guess I would consider an NOS Ford steel one if i could find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Biggest pain is having to change the crank shaft gear too, since it's likely worn..

It's a complete teardown.

I'm using an aluminium gear on my engine. I had the crank shaft out for balancing and changed to a new small gear. For a running complete engine only used locally with a bad fiber gear I would consider looking through some iron gears and using the best one for some time, maybe years until there were more reasons to pull the engine and change the small gear + invest in a new large gear made of alu or bronze. There are new nylon gears too.

Timing gear play makes some noise but it's not really dangerous for the engine.

Change out and check the gear play on the generator gear too - can be felt through the oil fill hole and adjusted with gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

I can let you have this one at a very good price. It's guaranteed to eliminate all engine noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

If Kevin doesn't take it send me a quote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Kevin
Even if you can't hear, try the nylon gear with advance. I don't believe you will be disappointed. I have two installed and really like the power improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Been running a fibre gear in my '27 since '78(and many thousands of miles). Suit yourself, it's your money!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Interesting, Les - Do you think it's your careful fitting of the generator gear or a superior quality fiber gear that makes your fiber timing gear survive better than many others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

It depends on how the fiber gear was made. The gears made with layers of cloth bound together will outlast the ones made of compressed short fibers. Fiber gears are still made and used in Model A's and they have a bit more HP then a T. The gear in Steve's photo looks like one of the short fiber gears. Generally if you can see the weave of the cloth esp around the teeth area you might be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I have had good luck with aluminum gears. Last summer I replaced the crankshaft gear, the camshaft gear and the generator gear. The gears are quiet. I wouldn't trust a fiber gear, especially if the car has a generator. All three of my T's have aluminum gears.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

I think that correct fitting of the crank to cam (100 mm centre to centre) AND correct fitting of the generator AND using a full set of NEW years is the key. I have other T engines running fibre gears with no problems, but not as many miles on them.
Another important detail is to handle the gear as if it is fragile (which you should do with any precision part)!!!
Anyway it's your money, spend it how you like!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I used and had change out to many fiber gears it a wast i just use the old ford steel ones never had any trouble but then my T never sees 50mph either

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration