6 ball Kingston carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 6 ball Kingston carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:17 am:

I ran across a Kingston carburetor yesterday and the guy says it was a 6 ball. I don't guess I have ever heard of one let alone seen one. It appeared to have a flange that would bolt up to a T intake and has what appeared to be an accelerator pump. Any idea if this is really a 6 ball and what might it be worth? Just curious. Solid brass to boot!
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I believe they were used for very short time on the 1912s. A nice one sold for 840 a while back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-Brass-Carburetor-for-a-Ford-Model-T-/1613562831 84?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2591957d30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Link to encyclopedia

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/kng12.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

a
aa
aaa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Very rare. It's not an accelerator pump, it presses the float down to flood the carb with gas in place of a choke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Thanks for the info.
I do have another question. What function did the balls provide for these carburetors and why were there different ball counts?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

As the speed increases the balls pull off the seats allowing more air to mix with the fuel to lean the mixture. Fewer balls are cheaper would be my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Stan, overall, how did they perform?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

I wish I knew!! I've never seen a real one, let alone have one to try. My guess would be they run quite well. The 5 ball runs very nicely but the early ones with no choke can be hard to start is what I hear. Cheaper and cheaper and with fewer machining operations would be the reason for going to the less complex carbs. If you look at something like this and then the NH you can see where Ford was saving money. These carbs probably were costing Ford 6-10 dollars each, 15 years later the NH was 30.5 cents with very similar performance.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration