Spare tire carrier installation tips?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spare tire carrier installation tips?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Greetings friends:

My 1923 touring car came to me with a '26/27 rear spare tire carrier. That's the gooseneck carrier with a "Y" type rim holder. On my car it's the big "Y" - for the 30x 30.5 high pressure tire. The T was restored in the '50s.

I have the correct carrier for '23 here, and I'd like to put it on the car to make it "more correct." But just looking under there it seems there's little room between the frame and the body tub to put the bolts through. I would think that at the factory the carrier went on after the body, so maybe this is an easy thing to do. But before I get into it I thought I would consult all of you.

The 26/27 gooseneck carrier is held on here using the rear spring u-bolts. That looks looks like an easy/accessible removal.

Many thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Rick Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Wouldn't be too difficult to install. Clear the holes, then mount temporary with vise grips or welding clamps.

Align the bracket holes and frame holes with drift punch. Then place the bolts and add the nuts. Room under the crossmember to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Dan:

Many thanks - this is all extremely helpful. The photo makes it all very clear.

I think I'll give it a whirl; as soon it stops snowing long enough for me to get the barn door shoveled out!

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,

Rick Benjamin

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration