Old Photo - Armless Driver

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Armless Driver
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Is that a starter motor attached to a cut off hand crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Sure looks like it John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Yes that car has been electrified! Starter motor, electric head lamps and a battery somewhere. Note the tool box under the running board and the fire extinguisher on the dash instead of side lamps. Looks like a laundry bag on the fender next to the hood side. Special steering wheel for the "arm less" driver.

What does it say on the windshield???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Must be a pretty stout starter motor to be able to turn over the engine with direct drive to the crankshaft!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Here is the Ford Times article about Mr. Stevens and the modifications to the car.

https://books.google.com/books?id=X2zPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA277&lpg=PA277&dq=Albert+L+st evens+armless+driver&source=bl&ots=WQvlxivuTD&sig=ir-MKmtsjBcwFPm_FYPdAUBcvf8&hl =en&sa=X&ei=8lTOVNOGF8urogTVnIDIBw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Albert%20L%20stev ens%20armless%20driver&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Are there any original non-starter Ts that have an accessory starter installed? I have seen 2 of these accessory starters but have not seen one actually installed on a Model T.

I would be interested in finding out more about how well they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

That's some accomplishment, he could have just sat around and ask for pity but instead he tried to live a normal life.

I've never saw a a driver with no arms but I have seen many drivers with no brains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I have an accessory starter/dynamo installed on my 1914. It is a Heinz-Springfield. It works very well.

Heinz Springfield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Jack, you must have had the car at the Old Car Festival in 2013? Bud Delong pointed out that self commencer for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Yes, the car has been at the OCF several times.

OCF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I've seen Jack's self starter on his '14. At the OCF he demonstrates it often and it really works well.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:08 am:

Here is another one, its a Genemotor made by General Electric.

This unit was offered by the Ford dealers as an extra that you could have fitted to your 1915-16 Ford in Australia.
The one pictured is from a USA car from memory a Couplet. From memory Mike Walker sent me the pictures.

gene01

gene02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Correct on all counts, Peter. That's a '16 Coupelet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration