Some random carb pics

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Some random carb pics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Trying to work up enough ambition to get out to the shop and spend my Sunday working on some carbs. Not working so well, forum and coffee for a few more minutes. Here's a couple things I've been working on, etc.,

Stromberg OF for Ron Patterson

Machining the mating surfaces on a Stromberg OX-2 to make sure it doesn't leak when it gets to Italy.

BREEZE carb for a 1910 Hupmobile

First trip through the cleaner

Done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

A few more:
Weenie little 5 ball Kingston. May be off a 1903 A or an early C. Later C's used the Schebler D.

Bigger 5 ball, similar to the one used on T's.

Big 5 ball off a big early tractor. Think they had the cap off the fuel inlet a few times?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Wow Stan. Great history, keep them coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

I would like to a carb book by Stan so we can keep his knowledge around for decades to come....Stan Thank you for all you share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Stan has talent and beauty...OK let me clarify, Stan has the talent and the carbs have the beauty :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Yea, Stan has beauty. It's just mostly inside!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

I went to the 50th anniversary party of Montana Public Radio last night (where I was recognized for 20 years of hosting my show) and met my buddy John's new wife. Even younger, better looking and nicer than I had heard. She said, "John was right, you have a perfect face for radio, just like John."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Couple Rayfield UF's. These are great carbs but hard to find complete. Hard to find in general. This is the first time in a long time I've had two of them at once. I actually have three at the moment. Two restored and one to go.

Look how cool this is, even the little drain is stamped with the company name. These are made from unobtainium.
I should have turned the handle the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:25 am:

Here's a little two screw Holley that just came in. Not too many of these around either. This one is all cleaned up and pretty on the outside and all dirty and nasty on the inside. Must have just been a display carb in somebody's collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:26 am:

You can see the dirt in the intake end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:28 am:

Schebler R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 06:41 am:

Stan... When I hauled my 13 touring car home a few years ago, floating around under the back seat was the original Model S "2-screw". It was in bad shape. The bowl had about 30 cracks in it and they were so bad that the walls were puckered out at the top. Unable to find a spare bowl, I decided to take action. In the photo's you can see how I milled away the fractured side-wall of the original bowl and rolled a new side-wall from a strip of brass. I then soldered it all together and polished her up! I rebuilt the rest of the carb, including lapping the flange surface and seat and also making a new float by adapting new float material that was made for an L2. It's on my 13 and runs better than an NH or a brass G. carb1carb2carb3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Nice Stan! I would love to see that OX-2 on here pretty soon...
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Brass bowls are a problem. There used to be a guy than made them back east but either died or got too old to do them. The carb is not so hard to find but the bowl is almost impossible to find that is fixable.

I saved your pictures when you had this on before and went hhhhmmmmmmmmm, how could I do this? It's a great idea and you did a beautiful job. There are a lot of two screws that need a bowl, maybe you should fire up a bowl business. Probably not enough demand to make any money but it would be a service to the hobby.

I wonder how they made those bowls to begin with? Were they spun against a pattern to form them? Pressed?? I'd sure like to see how they did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

I am no expert but assume they must have been spun against a pattern. If they can spin complicated contours for lamps I would think it would be fairly easy to spin a carburetor bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I LOVE the paint fill on the float bowl cover in the first picture of the OF. Was that the way they came from the factory? It sure adds some visual snap to the carb.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Only along toward the end of production of this type of carb. The earlier ones were stamped brass with no color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william schaller on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

I assume they did it like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-biLfru-c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:59 am:

Stan... I have one Model S carb that appears to be NOS.... or at least in like new condition other than patina. The bowl has no cracks in it which is amazing. In any event, there are what appear to be "draw marks" in the bowl running from the edge of the bowl down to the bottom where it curves under to the nut. I may be wrong, but this suggests that the bowl is stamped and formed using a die.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration