What kind of radiator is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What kind of radiator is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

found on a farm, with Model A motor, some commercial type transmission and magneto all sitting on a railroad wheel cart.radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Thanks Steve. I couldn't figure how to get the photo right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Maxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/477512.html?1411179383

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Would make a fantastic power unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Richard E posted this a while ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

1916-1917 era Maxwell Note the mounting brackets at the frame.
a
aa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Similar, but the bottom valance matches the Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Marvin, have any views of the motor or are you positive it's a Model A as they didn't have a magneto.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Howard, here is what I have, I can get more photos because I am helping these people sell stuff.motor 2motor 3 Sorry I can't get the photos correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

After closer inspection, I agree that Layden is correct on the Maxwell observation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

trying photo again, my neck is hurting from turning sideways.motor 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Cannot really tell for certain from these photos. What is the back side like where the hoses are connected? And has it been modified any? And closeups of the mountings would help also. There were several similar after-market radiators for a model T being made back then, and a few cars like Maxwell and Paige that used something similar. To my eye, owning a Paige and therefore looking at almost anything Paige I get an opportunity to see, it is NOT Paige. I have known a few people with Maxwells and have seen a number of them. It does look very much like a Maxwell to me. Just from the familiarity of the angles and curves between the core and shell.
Again, there were several after-market shells with or without radiators. Lawco and Ames were among them. But from what I can see so far, I would guess Maxwell. I also would like to see a couple photos of the motor. Could it be Maxwell?
Interesting rig. It could be worth preserving or restoring itself as a bit of ranching history.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

Wayne, the back part of the motor was hooked up to some type of transmission I have never seen before. It was not Model A. The frame was a cut off Model T frame. The magneto was attached to the side of the motor. Definitely some engineering going on there.motor 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

I found a photo of a Maxwell motor and transmission and this one looks the same!! I believe this one is a Maxwell motor/transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Definitely a Maxwell Model 25 Motor and radiator. Probably 1916 or later teens. Here is my 1915. It has an aluminum intake. Yours is cast iron.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I'm typing away and you sneak in some of the pictures I asked for!
As others have now said. Maxwell motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

It was a slow slow sneak Wayne. I tried 3 times to get the photos to upload. Glad I finally made it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I type slow. AGIO
I just have to kid you a bit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration