Straightening a Clutch Drum Puller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Straightening a Clutch Drum Puller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

I have an original clutch drum puller and it's apparent that it is flared out at the ends that slip over the clutch, maybe a total of 3/16". I want to straighten it because the ends of the special bolts that go through the clutch drum to lift the drum just make it to the inside edge of the drum; they go through enough you must back them out to remove the puller, but definitely not as far as designed.

What is the best way to straighten this to maintain it's strength? the main body of the puller is heavily reinforced so the bending needs to be done at the point just above the bolts where the opposite sides should become parallel. I really don't want to mess this tool up. I know I can bend it, I just don't know the right way to do it.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I used heat and went slow - the one I did was bent in about 1" and works fine now.

Don't ask me why it had been bent in - it looked like a blacksmith modification for a different use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Gary, I'm envisioning a piece of steel between the jaws above the bends to create a type of fulcrum producing a bending moment when tightened into a vise. Perhaps a touch of heat will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Ok, I'll use heat. I wasn't sure if that would be best or trying a vice to bend it cold. I just don't want to weaken it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

I think it's a forging so cold should not hurt it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:37 am:

go big or go home...

clutch hub puller

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/1oavd2.jpg[/IMG]

steering wheel puller

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2qwq1k4.jpg[/IMG]

These are for MIKE G's eyes only

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Try squashing it back in a big vise. If it resists too much, add heat.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration