Modern Outer Axle bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Modern Outer Axle bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Loving on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I have a 12 Rivet rear end that came as a spare with a car I purchased. It has been rebuilt with modern bearings.
I can't get the outer bearings out. Is there something I'm missing?
The outer end of the bearings have two #6-32 tapped holes, I have put screws in them tried using a gear puller but it wont budge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Is there a locking bolt where the grease cup usually is?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

There should be a small Allen screw in the grease cup hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Loving on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

There was a hex head bolt that was screwed in through the grease cup, which I removed prior to trying to take the bearing out.
From what I can see the bolt was screwed into the bearing housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Not all modern safety hubs used a bolt through the grease cup hole. Some used a bolt in a new hole maybe on the other side. There is another type that a plug was pressed in the axle tube and has a bearing holder mounted to the hub. I just had to have one of the later types machined out after I cut back the weld holding it in because it was a very tight fit. I was able to use an axle to pound the first one out.

If you pound it out be sure you are hitting the plug and not the rivet ring.

I have seen one similar to mine that used a bolt to hold the plug in. Yours sound like the type that the plug was pressed in and has the bearing retainer mounted on the hubs.
A photo of the what you are working with would be of help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration