Rodent says we have six more weeks of winter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rodent says we have six more weeks of winter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:49 am:

If winter wasn't depressing enough, Now we have to hear form a rodent.Anyone have any Decon handy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:53 am:

As the old farmers would say: "Half your wood and half your hay you should still have on Candlemas Day". This is the half way point of Winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:42 am:

6 x 7 = 42. 26 (Feb.) + 20 (Mar.) = 46. So we have six weeks and four days until spring. Some of that time will be real winter, and some will be pretty nice. It was 9 F here this morning, but the ten day forecast shows occasional highs in the fifties and sixties. That's why my family migrated here from Wisconsin after the Civil War. Our winter usually has several mild periods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Up here, 6 more weeks of winter as of Feb. 2 IS an early spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I always told my students if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be 42 days.

The fun was watching how long it took them to figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:07 am:

In Ohio Buckeye Chuck says only 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Here in the Pacific Northwest we haven't seen winter yet but have watched the Midwest and east coast take a beating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Be glad you live in America, up here in Canada, our groundhogs are fighting over the result.

http://www.cp24.com/news/canadian-groundhogs-disagree-over-winter-s-fate-this-se ason-1.2216359

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:39 am:

WOOPIE. again. :-(

12 additional inches of snow predicted for today

UNCLE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

March 21st is still six weeks away when looking at the calendar. The big storm all went south of Green Bay, and we've still got only about 3" to 4" accumulation on the ground. Knock on wood, but I appreciate time in the shop instead of needing the snowblower & shovel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Anybody remember the movie? It was filmed in Woodstock, Ill, and last time we were there, the cafe looked the same, save for scenes from the movie on the walls.

It is our 52nd anniversary today, and I'm sure we'll watch it again some time this week. It was a rare comedy with a moral lesson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

That movie is great, Bill Murray is HILARIOUS.

One of my other favorites with him is Caddy Shack:

"Cinderella story, here at Augusta." LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I got up this morning and saw my shadow. Now if only I could see my shoes. That would make me really happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

I live thirty miles away from Shubenacadie Sam. Its been overcast here all day. How the hell can you have a shadow without sun?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Kevin

Did you happen turn sideways and check to see if you could see your shadow? I did and I can.

I too, however, can't see my shoes.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

I got up this morning and saw my shadow but couldn't see my cars. The everyday cars that is. The others are tucked away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

I saw a road kill today which I hope was that #%$&*! groundhog. Think I'll go back and run over it again just to make sure. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I saw a road kill today which I hope was that #%$&*! groundhog. Think I'll go back and run over it again just to make sure. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4027914694001/jimmy-the-groundhog-bites-mayor-in-wisc onsin/?#sp=show-clips

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I've been to Punxsutawney.
Small town. Police badges and cars have a groundhog on it. Bronze statue in front of city hall, and the home of Phil in the library.
A lot of hype for a centuries old European tradition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Here is how I tell how long winter is going to be. When the snow is melted and we have the first rain to wash that salt crap off the roads, then it is spring.

I also judge spring by opening day at the drag strip. If it's good enough to run 'em, then spring is here.

As far as ground hogs go, the movie is great, watched part of it during my lunch break today, but those little bastards will die on my property--picture selected scenes from Caddy Shack.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Sounds like Kevin and Tim are members of the Dickydoo club.

That stupid rodent left tracks in my yard when he went out so see his shadow. Is that picture above the rump roast?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Technically we are 2/3rds. of the way through winter, as climatologically, not chronologically, winter is Dec. through Feb. and March starts spring. That said, per Bills jingle, I'm doing good, 'cause I do have half my winter's wood in the barn yet.
Will, there's nothing like a roasting pan of baked Whistlepig to warm your tummy on a cold winter's day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

If you really want to get rid of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

www.rodentator.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

"Anybody remember the movie?"

What movie you talkin' about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Thought nobody would ask.

from Wiki:

Groundhog Day is a 1993 American fantasy comedy film directed by Harold Ramis, starring Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, and Chris Elliott. It was written by Ramis and Danny Rubin, based on a story by Rubin.

Murray plays Phil Connors, an arrogant Pittsburgh TV weatherman who, during an assignment covering the annual Groundhog Day event in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, finds himself in a time loop, repeating the same day again and again. After indulging in hedonism and numerous suicide attempts, he begins to re-examine his life and priorities.

In 2006, the film was added to the United States National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[3]

Plot

On February 1, misanthropic TV meteorologist Phil Connors (Murray), news producer Rita Hanson (MacDowell), and cameraman Larry (Elliott), of the fictional Pittsburgh television station WPBH-TV 9 travel to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, to cover the annual Groundhog Day festivities. The following morning, Phil, who does not like the assignment or Punxsutawney, grudgingly gives his report on the festivities. He then gets his team on the road back to Pittsburgh, but a blizzard shuts down all travel. The team is forced to return to Punxsutawney and stay another night.

Phil wakes up to find that he is reliving February 2. The day plays out exactly as it did before, with no one but Phil aware of the time loop. At first he is confused, but, when the phenomenon continues on subsequent days, he decides to take advantage of the situation with no fear of long-term consequences: he learns secrets from the town's residents, seduces women, steals money, drives recklessly, and gets thrown in jail. However, his attempts to get closer to Rita, to whom he has become attracted, repeatedly fail.

Eventually, Phil becomes depressed and tries more and more drastically to end the time loop; he gives ridiculous and offensive reports on the festival and eventually kidnaps Punxsutawney Phil and, after a police chase, drives off a high overlook into a quarry, killing both himself and the groundhog. However, Phil wakes up and finds that nothing has changed; further attempts at suicide also fail to break the time loop, as he continues to find himself waking at six o'clock on the morning of February 2 with the clock radio on his nightstand playing "I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher.

When Phil explains the situation to Rita, she spends the day with him and into the early morning hours. But they fall asleep together and he awakens again stuck in the time loop. Inspired by her positive outlook, Phil endeavors to improve himself. He begins to use his by-now vast experience of the day to help as many people around town as possible. He uses the time to learn, among other things, how to play the piano, to sculpt ice, and speak French.

Eventually, Phil is able to befriend almost everyone he meets during the day, using his experiences to save lives, to help townspeople, and ultimately to get closer to Rita, without the effort at manipulation that sometimes typified his earlier attempts at winning her affection. He crafts a report on the Groundhog Day celebration so eloquent that all the other stations turn their microphones to him. After the town's evening dance, Rita "buys" Phil at the event's bachelor auction. Phil makes a snow sculpture of Rita's face and they kiss for the first time (for this particular day). The moment they kiss, the snow begins to fall, which had never happened before, implying to the audience that their kiss has broken the time loop. They retire to his room. He wakes the next morning and finds the time loop is, in fact, broken; it is now February 3 and Rita is still with him. They walk outside and Phil proposes that they move there (renting initially).
-------------

We watched it again last night. It's almost the only movie I have watched more than once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Snow?? It is supposed to be 78 here tomorrow with a low of 60 at night in Bakersfield with the sun trying to break through the smog and air pollution. Oh well, can't have everything. Ha Ha (PS Never trust air that you can't see.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Thanks Ricks, never heard of it before.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration