Coil box arcing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil box arcing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:29 am:

During my routine spark plug and TW-timer cleaning I noticed some high voltage arcing inside(through) the firewall adjacent to #1 coil box insulator. I was testing the timer circuit after cleaning the timer to verify coil buzz in firing sequence. This was done with none of the high tension wires hooked up to a plug or near a ground. I know that electricity will take the least resistance path to ground, but should I be concerned about the fact that when no ground is provided #1 coil arcs to the firewall, or is this normal? Perhaps I need a new coil box rebuild?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Possibly, but you should never let a coil buzz without the plug connected. It can damage your coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Yup, Its time to install a new Fun Projects coil box kit. Takes about 20 minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

For me a rebuilt coil box is as important as buying a new radiator or at the very least having a radiator recored.

If you intend to drive and enjoy your T a good coil box is a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Probably about 20 years ago I had a coil box starting to arc on one of the coils. Getting caught in a rain and having the wood get wet can cause the arcing and it can cause carbon tracking and after that replacement is necessary.
I bought several sizes of plexi glass and cut my own using the wood as my pattern. Good winter project. You could call it my "Fun Project" and as I said that was about 20 years ago and I have no problems with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

I had intermittent arcing through the wood of my '15.... whenever the car got wet (as in washed) it started to run rough. I realized what was happening when I got shocked by it.

I installed the rebuild kit that Fun Projects sells. It can't be for quality, is not visible once installed, lines the box up correctly so the coils fit right and is a permanent, foolproof fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

It might be OK after you install the wires, but carbon itself is a conductor, so you could very well lose spark until you re-wood the coil box.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration